LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been having this sit in my head for a while, so here it goes.

Is it possible to shape a tank out of foam, then cover it with fleece and put fiberglass resin over that. Sand it down and then put fiberglass over it. Sand it down some more and put bondo?


Is that possible? Cause it seems like it would work.



Thank-you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
fiberglass over foam works fine its common pactice.............ive done it more than a few times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I just asked some foam shop place and they said that the if you cover the foam with Glad plastic wrapping and then apply the fleece and resin it should be fine.

They also said that depending on the type of resin you use, you might not even have to wrap it.

He told me the best foam to use would be floral foam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,520 Posts
what if you just do fleece first then resin, glass , resin, sand.

this method might work too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok This is what I am doing. I am gonna make a tank like this:


The first thing I am gonna do is Carve the foam block, clean it up and then apply fleece. Once I have done that I will put the resin on and let it dry. After that I will sand it down and apply the glass, let that dry and then sand. After all that I will then bondo it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,520 Posts
Originally posted by Big_Dubz@Oct 5 2006, 10:13 AM~6312252
Ok This is what I am doing. I am gonna make a tank like this:


The first thing I am gonna do is Carve the foam block, clean it up and then apply fleece. Once I have done that I will put the resin on and let it dry. After that I will sand it down and apply the glass, let that dry and then sand. After all that I will then bondo it.
are you gona take of the chrome or do it over it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by lil_guy@Oct 6 2006, 05:14 AM~6312586
are you gona take of the chrome or do it over it
That was my first frame i ever made, that pic shows how i did it the wrong way, i ended up shaping one half of my bike, then the other side and made a mold.

Made the 2 sides of out fibreglass and then joined it, it covered the whole frame and didnt need to worry bout the chrome

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by ozzylowrider@Oct 6 2006, 07:27 AM~6313408
That was my first frame i ever made, that pic shows how i did it the wrong way, i ended up shaping one half of my bike, then the other side and made a mold.

Made the 2 sides of out fibreglass and then joined it, it covered the whole frame and didnt need to worry bout the chrome


:0
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top