LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting a slip driveshaft made for my 64 with a TH350 and i need to know how to measure it properly so it's the proper length?
any ideas?
:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
pm -

rich

:),

cc

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Nov 12 2003, 11:04 PM
i'm getting a slip driveshaft made for my 64 with a TH350 and i need to know how to measure it properly so it's the proper length?
any ideas?
MEASURE FROM THE TAILSHAFT TO THE REAR AXLE WHERE THE DRIVELINE BOLTS, WITH THE CAR LOCKED UP,

THEN WITH IT LAID OUT....GIVE THOSE 2 MEASUREMENTS TO THE SHOP....

IF THE CAR HAS BIG LOCK UP 2 SLIP AND STUBS MAY BE REQUIRED

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
yeah, when i did this on my 64 i measured up the distance between the carrierbearing and the pinion when locked up and when dumped, that way you can get a shaft with the exact splince travel you'll need, i gave my own shaft 1" play at both sides when finished just to make extra sure...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Nov 14 2003, 05:10 AM
the car isn't juiced yet. does this mean i can't measure accurately?
no you can still measure it, no problems.
just get the car up on jackstands real high,
(so high the rear wheels gets of the ground)
now the rear shocks stop the suspension travel and there's your max lockup point, measure from the pinion to the carrier bearing.

then you jack the rearend up so it comes in it's max dumped position, keep it there and measure up the distance from there to the carrier. that way you'll know the exact driveshaft splince travel.
you'll have to cut the rear springs first so you know how low you want it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by badass 64+Nov 14 2003, 02:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Nov 14 2003, 02:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64@Nov 14 2003, 05:10 AM
now the rear shocks stop the suspension travel and there's your max lockup point, measure from the pinion to the carrier bearing.

then you jack the rearend up so it comes in it's max dumped position, keep it there and measure up the distance from there to the carrier. that way you'll know the exact driveshaft splince travel.
you'll have to cut the rear springs first so you know how low you want it.[/b][/quote]
i borrowed a buddy's slip driveshaft out of his 64 that had 14's in the rear at one time and a PowerGlide. can i just cut the front section of my driveshaft to the proper length for my TH350 and make the rear section the same length as the borrowed one?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64+Nov 15 2003, 02:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schmidt64 @ Nov 15 2003, 02:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 14 2003, 02:02 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64
@Nov 14 2003, 05:10 AM

i borrowed a buddy's slip driveshaft out of his 64 that had 14's in the rear at one time and a PowerGlide. can i just cut the front section of my driveshaft to the proper length for my TH350 and make the rear section the same length as the borrowed one?
:biggrin:[/b][/quote]
you can cut the front section of the driveshaft if you know what you're donig but that requires some real experiance to get it done right, and you'll allso have to get it balanced afterwards or it will wibrate so bad you wont even wanna ride in the car.
and theres only one way to figure out if that slipshaft has long enough splince travel ...measure it up.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by badass 64+Nov 15 2003, 02:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Nov 15 2003, 02:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 02:48 AM

you can cut the front section of the driveshaft if you know what you're donig but that requires some real experiance to get it done right, and you'll allso have to get it balanced afterwards or it will wibrate so bad you wont even wanna ride in the car.
and theres only one way to figure out if that slipshaft has long enough splince travel ...measure it up.[/b][/quote]
don't i just measure the difference in length between the two transmissions, PG and TH350? i was gonna get this done at a machine shop anyways so it should be done properly.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64+Nov 16 2003, 03:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schmidt64 @ Nov 16 2003, 03:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 15 2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 02:48 AM

and theres only one way to figure out if that slipshaft has long enough splince travel ...measure it up.
don't i just measure the difference in length between the two transmissions, PG and TH350? i was gonna get this done at a machine shop anyways so it should be done properly.
:biggrin:[/b][/quote]
sure, you'll allso have to measure up that part...
-good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts