LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you test solenoids? If you want to check and find out which one is messed up, i got three per pump for example. I know its a solenoid, because batteries have been tested and all are good. I get a click when i hit the rear switch and that's all. I would assume no one replaces all three, there must be a way to check one by one to see which one is stuck. Anyone want to give me a how-to???

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,530 Posts
Cheap ass, replace all 3 :uh:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by MUFASA@Feb 15 2010, 06:25 PM~16620736
Why do that, just let him replace the 1 solenoid and the others will soon blow next or get stuck and burn up his motor, or blow the seals in the pumphead or pressure seal..or both seals maybe even a shaft seal then oil will get into the motor and possible catch fire...

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,530 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Feb 15 2010, 09:29 PM~16623378
Why do that, just let him replace the 1 solenoid and the others will soon blow next or get stuck and burn up his motor, or blow the seals in the pumphead or pressure seal..or both seals maybe even a shaft seal then oil will get into the motor and possible catch fire...
:cheesy:

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Originally posted by MUFASA@Feb 15 2010, 05:25 PM~16620736
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: tell 'em... :thumbsup: If one is bad the other's are not to far behind it......

·
Real Rider
3,593 Posts
LMAO. If he didnt get the point, I sure did. Im never replacing just one again. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
yep learnt the hard way replace all in that bank

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
learn how 2 use a multi meter, honestly with lowriders i personally believe it is only a benifit if you are familiar with them,

theres alot of nolan ryan parts pitchers out there better to know what the problem is than just pitch parts at your setup trust me go buy a cheap craftsman meter and learn this stuff

use the ohm scale with audio so when the noids click you hear a beep telling u its good

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Feb 15 2010, 11:29 PM~16623378
:uh:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
sometimes the bad one will sound diffferant.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I just said this in a different topic, but doesn't it make sense that if power is going through to the motor, that all of them are stuck? If only 2 are stuck, the 3rd one will still disconnect power, right?

Or am I the retarded one? never got why solenoids were ran in series anyways.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 16 2010, 09:01 PM~16633013
I just said this in a different topic, but doesn't it make sense that if power is going through to the motor, that all of them are stuck? If only 2 are stuck, the 3rd one will still disconnect power, right?

yup all 3 need to be stuck to get power to the motor, its a god idea to ohm them out for the seaon to check

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 16 2010, 07:01 PM~16633013

what I never really understood is why both contacts in the solenoid are made from the same material(copper) couldnt they make it out of 2 different types of materials that dont stick together,..... :dunno: maybe cost of production???...

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,530 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 16 2010, 07:01 PM~16633013

Or am I the retarded one ?
:rolleyes:

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,530 Posts
Originally posted by DanielDucati@Feb 16 2010, 08:40 PM~16634568
what I never really understood is why both contacts in the solenoid are made from the same material(copper) couldnt they make it out of 2 different types of materials that dont stick together,..... :dunno: maybe cost of production???...
Accumax , posts are copper, contact plate/ washer is plated

·
Real Rider
3,593 Posts
Originally posted by buggsyjackrabbit@Feb 16 2010, 11:35 PM~16634464
yup all 3 need to be stuck to get power to the motor, its a god idea to ohm them out for the seaon to check
So how again do you check for the bad ONE?
:dunno: :dunno:

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,530 Posts
Originally posted by jsozae@Feb 16 2010, 08:48 PM~16634698
So how again do you check for the bad ONE?
:dunno:  :dunno:
Disconnect ur main power to the noids. Test the outer main contacs using ohm meter. Should read infinite. Now have someone tap the switch, should zero out on the meter. This is if they r good. If they are stuck, u will get a zero reading without tapn the switch...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
he didnt say they were stuck, just a click sound .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts