LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
same as the timing topic. but for those people who want to swap out their 3.8s for a sbc.

if you never did it, keep your mouth closed and dont type shit.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by hosscutlass@Sep 1 2005, 04:06 PM~3733732
putting a sbc in a g-body is one of the easyest motor swaps ever i did it twice to my cutty
thats not helpful.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seeing as how nobody wants to share their experiences ill put everythign ive gathered into one spot so we never have to see a "how do i .." topic again :biggrin:.

1. a sbc bolts right up assuming you have a universal bolt pattern trans.
2. sbc motor mounts are required (anything from a g body with a v8 - 85 monte for example.)
3. different radiator is required.
4. different fan shroud is required.

·
TDMMC
10,886 Posts
Must have universal bolt pattern ;) For this to work.Some flex plates will match.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BigWorm@Sep 1 2005, 11:28 PM~3736607
so you need the crossmember for the trans or what
not if your keeping the same trans :)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by BigWorm@Sep 1 2005, 11:58 PM~3736804
what about for the 4l60 im not putting a v6 trans behind an lt1
yup, need to move the crossmember.

·
Registered
126 Posts
let me pop in on the thread. I just bought a 79 Type-T regal that I was told has a 350 in it... Well I cant find an id tag anywhere and it sure as hell is way bigger than a 350 but is not a Big Block... I cant find any numbers so I have no idea what the motor is. I was told it was a 401 Small block buick.... the coil pack is on the front of the engine and I have never seen a 350 that has a distributer cap in the front...?? But anyhow. My quistion is. If I cant figure out what motor it is can I bolt up a smc say a 350? I want to make performance from this bitch... what would I need to check on my list to see what would make it fit and what would keep it from dropping right into my engine bay...??

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by beyondstockcav@Sep 3 2005, 01:44 PM~3745423
let me pop in on the thread.  I just bought a 79 Type-T regal that I was told has a 350 in it...  Well I cant find an id tag anywhere and it sure as hell is way bigger than a 350 but is not a Big Block...  I cant find any numbers so I have no idea what the motor is.  I was told it was a 401 Small block buick....  the coil pack is on the front of the engine and I have never seen a 350 that has a distributer cap in the front...??  But anyhow.  My quistion is.  If I cant figure out what motor it is can I bolt up a smc say a 350?  I want to make performance from this bitch...  what would I need to check on my list to see what would make it fit and what would keep it from dropping right into my engine bay...??
425's have the dist. cap in the front...
:dunno:

·
Registered
126 Posts
is that chevy or buick engine? I have the numbers off the intake and I have the number off of the holly 4 barrel carb that came with it... I can go take a pic of the motor if someone on here is a trival king and can tell me what it is....

·
Registered
42 Posts
well i never really looked all that hard i used to have a '79 buick with a buick 350 but i have never been able to find perf. parts for that size buick engine

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
heres a question..

what if us current v6 smogged people wanna 350 in that can be smog legal or be able to pass emmisions?

add dual cats and mufflers, with emmisions legal intake and carb???

what about headers? Whats the best headers to use that wont require any major cutting or modification to frame or body?

wiring? Whats the basic wiring setup?

Can our current v6 AC systems be converted and adpated to the 350? What special brackets or hoses do we need to adapt from other models?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Sep 4 2005, 05:29 AM~3749054
heres a question..

what if us current v6 smogged people wanna 350 in that can be smog legal or be able to pass emmisions?

add dual cats and mufflers, with emmisions legal intake and carb???

what about headers?  Whats the best headers to use that wont require any major cutting or modification to frame or body?

wiring?  Whats the basic wiring setup?

Can our current v6 AC systems be converted and adpated to the 350?  What special brackets or hoses do we need to adapt from other models?
well i llive in kansas where there is no legal emissions laws but i think all that you would have to do for a swap would be get dual cats and mufflers with emissions legal intake and carb you should be able to use any headers, becuase they really dont effect emissions that much when you have all that other shit on there i'm not sure if the ac will work or not but i dont see why it wouldn't

1 - 20 of 22 Posts