LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

2081 - 2091 of 2091 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
It would be a great day for lowriding of true spoke brought back the original 45 spoke wheel... not feelin' the new 50 spoke wheels they are selling. Can't beat true spokes and 520s! I called them and asked them why they don't make 45 spoke wheels and they said because of safety issues. I'm like don't these people realize people rolled and hopped juiced 4,500 lb cars on the og 45 spoke wheels for years with no problems?!

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
in one of the previous posts, a guy said these don't look like the originals. I know these new 520s are stronger but can you see any differences between these and the og 520s? Do they look the exact same?
to me the new ones have a 6 ply strength side wall so they stand taller, you have to remember the original 5.20 from the 1970`s were only meant for light sport cars, not full size cars of back in the day, and the load rating was very light, even if you multiplied all 4 tires, it still meant you got a fix it ticket from a cop, for tires being unsafe.
these new tires have been re-engineered to have have a heavier load rate, and the sidewalls do prove it. the tire nubs or wiskers are 50 times the amount of the original tire, proves the rubber has been more evenly molded through out the tire , this gives me more piece of mind rolling on them. this is not just my opinion, it`s a fact.

After owning the new tires for a couple years now, i would never risk rolling on original 35 /40 year old tires 5.20 tires.(Unless you decide to have them on a trailer queen)
yes i rolled them back in the day(it was the only small tire you could buy) but we are of the age of electric cars now
and 3.50 % instead of the 10% home loans and personel computers / cell phones.
we can`t stay in the dark ages for ever, even tires evolve into a better / safer product
HERE ON THE BOTTOM PIC IS AN ORIGINAL SET I SOLD A FEW YEARS AGO, OG 5.20 MOUNTED ON OG 45 SPOKE TRUES ( sold all my OG tires that were in the 30 plus years in age, when i heard these new tires were coming out

NEW PREMIUM SPORTWAYS are mounted on my OG 76 LANDAU

THEY LOOK GOOD MOUNTED ON 13X7 RESTORED ZENITH SKINNY SPOKES WITH CANTED 3 BAR K/O`S

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
in one of the previous posts, a guy said these don't look like the originals. I know these new 520s are stronger but can you see any differences between these and the og 520s? Do they look the exact same?
There is a big difference in looks. These new Chinese ones have a odd looking box look. The originals had a nice stretch that the new ones don't have, also the sides look different. Hoping someone manufactures the original ones soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Judging from the pic that ekserio posted of them on his LTD, they seem to have a nice stretch to me. Can people post pics of the stretch of these tires on 14x7 wheels. (Yes I have looked through the thread)

·
Registered
67 Posts
to me the new ones have a 6 ply strength side wall so they stand taller, you have to remember the original 5.20 from the 1970`s were only meant for light sport cars, not full size cars of back in the day, and the load rating was very light, even if you multiplied all 4 tires, it still meant you got a fix it ticket from a cop, for tires being unsafe.
these new tires have been re-engineered to have have a heavier load rate, and the sidewalls do prove it. the tire nubs or wiskers are 50 times the amount of the original tire, proves the rubber has been more evenly molded through out the tire , this gives me more piece of mind rolling on them. this is not just my opinion, it`s a fact.

After owning the new tires for a couple years now, i would never risk rolling on original 35 /40 year old tires 5.20 tires.(Unless you decide to have them on a trailer queen)
yes i rolled them back in the day(it was the only small tire you could buy) but we are of the age of electric cars now
and 3.50 % instead of the 10% home loans and personel computers / cell phones.
we can`t stay in the dark ages for ever, even tires evolve into a better / safer product
HERE ON THE BOTTOM PIC IS AN ORIGINAL SET I SOLD A FEW YEARS AGO, OG 5.20 MOUNTED ON OG 45 SPOKE TRUES ( sold all my OG tires that were in the 30 plus years in age, when i heard these new tires were coming out

NEW PREMIUM SPORTWAYS are mounted on my OG 76 LANDAU

THEY LOOK GOOD MOUNTED ON 13X7 RESTORED ZENITH SKINNY SPOKES WITH CANTED 3 BAR K/O`S

Thanks for the response. Can you tell any visual differences?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Not sure what happened, maybe my camber and cutting the wheel from a dead stop on the stiff sidewall. I'm guessing the inner bead slipped off the rim.This happen to anyone else? It's not gonna stop me from rolling them though, i pumped them to 50 psi a few minutes before it happened at the gas station and it happened quick & quiet as i pulled away...
View attachment 1966937
Ok so i finally got around to re-mounting this tire, back to 50psi and rebalancing it, adjusted a little camber & toe, then drove at 70-75mph on the hwy 430 miles round trip over the weekend to a show. These tires rolled smooth as silk. Even in the rain at 60 i had none of the traction problems i heard about, only some sway but i got the hang of it. I will buy these again in the future!
21148625_1800192736674713_1667157005_n.jpg 21149902_10210399237276465_2082760202674729481_n.jpg 21208413_1800585786635408_1872659807_n.jpg

·
Registered
28,003 Posts
I agree, just say no to overpriced Chinese products.
This nigga,

look at your phone, tv, appliances, clothes...daily drivers no mames

and fk corkys bitchass aint giving that puto no money for explosive tires. every one i had ripped apart wouldnt trust em to my enemy...actually would you like to pay for shipping for these lowrider coker tires sir? 2 of em still not exploded yet.

2081 - 2091 of 2091 Posts