LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this because I was watching 'Rides' this past Tuesday and they were showcasing Chip Foose. They showed him and his crew building a vehicle called 'Impression' for the Detroit Autorama. They were competing against other builders from around the nation for the 'Ridler Award'. This is awarded to the best builder/car of the show. So, they're showing Chip and his team building this car from the ground up in preperation for the Detroit Autorama. They also showed all types of cars and trucks a this show. The best thing they showed was Chip interacting with this young lady that was there competing with her lowrider bicycle. She built the bike herself doing a lot of the fabrication herself. Well, needless to say, Chip and his crew won.

After the show went off, I began to think if a lowrider would compete for the Ridler Award? I think winning lowrider of the year is great, but I think lowriders need to go beyond their own types of shows and compete on a larger scale. There are many great builders in lowriding that I think could compete at the Detroit Autorama. I think this would open up more doors for lowriding and help get rid of the negative stereotypes still attached to lowriding.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
you can never tell how far it will go now days with all the modifications you can do to youre ride now days.the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jul 22 2005, 01:21 PM
I ask this because I was watching  'Rides' this past Tuesday and they were showcasing Chip Foose. They showed him and his crew building a vehicle called 'Impression' for the Detroit Autorama. They were competing against other builders from around the nation for the 'Ridler Award'. This is awarded to the best builder/car of the show. So, they're showing Chip and his team building this car from the ground up in preperation for the Detroit Autorama. They also showed all types of cars and trucks a this show. The best thing they showed was Chip interacting with this young lady that was there competing with her lowrider bicycle. She built the bike herself doing a lot of the fabrication herself. Well, needless to say, Chip and his crew won.

After the show went off, I began to think if a lowrider would compete for the Ridler Award? I think winning lowrider of the year is great, but I think lowriders need to go beyond their own types of shows and compete on a larger scale. There are many great builders in lowriding that I think could compete at the Detroit Autorama. I think this would open up more doors for lowriding and help get rid of the negative stereotypes still attached to lowriding.

What do you think?
[snapback]3458599[/snapback]​

well tryrone waddup ...well sometimes those shows in oreder to compete u have to be invited ..i know u have to be at blackies show in sacarmento ....i like the way chip foose builds cars way better than boyd and his rimz look better ,....

well a few years ago john was invited to go to the best show hot rod show thrown by blackie in sacarmento and he wanted to see ''SOUTH SIDE PLAYER '' every now and then they will have others to go ...before he also invited vics ''58 TANGRINE DREAM '' ....

imagine if they did show like them invites only at the super show???

:cool:

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
When lowriders started being displayed at the SEMA show was the biggest step forward in a long time if you ask me.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
it definintely needs to get broke up into the rest of the world.I heard people mention lowriders or events mentioned in the news paper.If I saw that here, I'd crap my pants. stuff like that matters getting the sport,hobby and lifestyle recognized as 'real world' happenings.This aint no circus for us lowriders,just liek its not for the hotrodders that built a basass version of their childhood dream car.We know what we want and go for it. Every halfway decent lowrider built is a success story in my mind, they dont get built on accident or for the hell of it.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Huey.

Who is "Blackie"? What show does he throw? I never heard of him.

I know I've been called a lot of things here on LIL, but no one can say I don't think. I received a great complement from John when I met him in SD. He said I'm one of few here on LIL that thinks. That meant a lot.

The reason for this post is to possibly get others to think outside the Super Show box. Although I haven't been yet, I know it will be an experience unlike any other. I would just like to see lowriders compete on a higher level. Some of us are content with what we have (Super Show). I believe we as lowriders can go higher than that. We just have to breaks those chains that bind our thinking. Yes, lowriding came from the barrios and ghettos of Southern California, but that doesn't mean we have to stay there.

Lowridings beginnings are not that different than hot roddings. Now look at the level hot rodding is at now. I believe lowriding can go to that level and beyond. And I won't be happy until I see it there! I just want better for lowriding.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jul 22 2005, 04:05 PM
When lowriders started being displayed at the SEMA show was the biggest step forward in a long time if you ask me.
[snapback]3458996[/snapback]​
You know I agree 100% with you Jason, but I feel it shouldn't stop there.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jul 22 2005, 04:15 PM

I know I've been called a lot of things here on LIL, but no one can say I don't think. I received a great complement from John when I met him in SD. He said I'm one of few here on LIL that thinks. That meant a lot.

The reason for this post is to possibly get others to think outside the Super Show box. Although I haven't been yet, I know it will be an experience unlike any other. I would just like to see lowriders compete on a higher level. Some of us are content with what we have (Super Show). I believe we as lowriders can go higher than that. We just have to breaks those chains that bind our thinking. Yes, lowriding came from the barrios and ghettos of Southern California, but that doesn't mean we have to stay there.

Lowridings beginnings are not that different than hot roddings. Now look at the level hot rodding is at now. I believe lowriding can go to that level and beyond. And I won't be happy until I see it there! I just want better for lowriding.
[snapback]3459059[/snapback]​
have you started your spanish lessons yet? :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jul 22 2005, 02:15 PM

HE THROWS ONE OF THE BIGGEST HOT ROD SHOW IN SACARMENTO INVITES ONLY WERE THEY GIVE OUT THE AMERICAS MOST BEAUTIFUL HOT ROD ETC.....

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by highridah@Jul 22 2005, 04:10 PM
i highly doubt a lowrider will win a riddler you have to see the fucking cars that theyll be going up against a 70k lowrider will not beat a 500k hot rod
[snapback]3459027[/snapback]​
We don't know until we try. It's not always about how much money, but the thought and creativity of the builder.

I wish John Kennedy wouldn't have sold 'Radillac'. That would have been one of the baddest Cadillacs ever. If he would have seen it through, it could have possibly been a contender at the Detroit Autorama.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Spanky@Jul 22 2005, 04:17 PM
have you started your spanish lessons yet? :roflmao:  :roflmao:
[snapback]3459080[/snapback]​
I was honestly waiting for you to say something! And no I haven't started yet! :biggrin:

You know we already somewhat discussed this. And you're right, I want more out of lowriding. Am I wrong for that?

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jul 22 2005, 02:19 PM
We don't know until we try. It's not always about how much money, but the thought and creativity of the builder.

I wish John Kennedy wouldn't have sold 'Radillac'. That would have been one of the baddest Cadillacs ever. If he would have seen it through, it could have possibly been a contender at the Detroit Autorama.
[snapback]3459096[/snapback]​
well ty only if you knew the plans he had for it .....would have made ur toes curl...

:cheesy:

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
Originally posted by TraditionalLowriding@Jul 22 2005, 04:18 PM
Huey, do you think the person that bought it has simular plans as John did?
[snapback]3459814[/snapback]​

i dont think so but u never know that car had so many mods done to it already, but i know its in good hands now ..

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by HUEY HEFNER@Jul 22 2005, 06:15 PM
well ty  only if you knew the plans he had for it .....would have made ur toes curl...

:cheesy:
[snapback]3459807[/snapback]​
I believe you Huey. I believe you. Well, you say it's in good hands now. Just have to wait and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Saying a lowrider should be at a hot rod show is like saying a hot rod should be at a lowrider show. If we all saw a hot rod win lowrider of the year how would we feel? i think the idea of us having to break into other shows is off for the simple fact that in those shows hot rods is what people came to see. for lowriders to get to there level is going to have to happen within itself. its the macket thats going to have to drive it. the bigger that show the more the prize money the bigger the sport is going to be.

·
Registered
741 Posts
just a question, but what did PUNCH 84 win over seas, i remember hearing a LONG time ago that it competed in another show circit besides Lowrider, and won hands down. I don't think that it comes anywhere near the riddler, but who knows

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jul 22 2005, 02:15 PM

you "think" too much. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts