LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

641 - 659 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a Lincoln Versailles rear. Welded the hangers on out for the trailing arms and wishbone.
Only part missing from rear end was the dust covers. Looking for them is like looking for a needle in a hay stack...lol
But its functional without them.

Rear end is getting chromed now. When I pick it up next week ill post a picture of it.

:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah you will be good especially with WWK wheels. Narrowing the rear end 2 inches (inch on each side) is so you can do side to side and 3 wheel with skirts. Otherwise you’d only need to knock about 1/2 in to 3/4 each side and could roll skirts. Do 1 inch each side or 1 1/4 to be right at the lengths of a versailles rear of 57.50 or 58 inches. I found if you plan on always having reverse wheels and don’t need to care about running stock wheels and such the 1 1/4 works best. But even better is just finding a ford 9 and cutting it down to 57.50 or 58 inches and running better gears and a posi. ?

I forgot to ask if you had side to side. I want side to side but don‘t want to knock the skirts off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tha
Yeah you will be good especially with WWK wheels. Narrowing the rear end 2 inches (inch on each side) is so you can do side to side and 3 wheel with skirts. Otherwise you’d only need to knock about 1/2 in to 3/4 each side and could roll skirts. Do 1 inch each side or 1 1/4 to be right at the lengths of a versailles rear of 57.50 or 58 inches. I found if you plan on always having reverse wheels and don’t need to care about running stock wheels and such the 1 1/4 works best. But even better is just finding a ford 9 and cutting it down to 57.50 or 58 inches and running better gears and a posi. ?
Finally got that quoting thing down... Thanks. You’ve been a big help. I’m gonna just narrow the stock rear end. I’m only gonna go with 2 inches in case I scrape going up driveway after putting the 13s on and have to roll stocks until it’s cut. Those Ford 9s are tough rear ends though! I had a stock one in my Lincoln Mark V, my first lowrider. I drove it a little over 2 hours home when I bought it and when I went to change the gear oil in the rear end there was none. I couldn’t believe it It didn’t go out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will be good at 57.50 inches with stocks. Any less tho and you start running into problems with stock wheels. Like I said you may wanna go with 1 1/4 on each side but 1 inch is fine. I like being better safe then sorry when 3 wheeling and side to side hitting with skirts. And your stock rear is fine especially while you have no juice.

Tha

Finally got that quoting thing down... Thanks. You’ve been a big help. I’m gonna just narrow the stock rear end. I’m only gonna go with 2 inches in case I scrape going up driveway after putting the 13s on and have to roll stocks until it’s cut. Those Ford 9s are tough rear ends though! I had a stock one in my Lincoln Mark V, my first lowrider. I drove it a little over 2 hours home when I bought it and when I went to change the gear oil in the rear end there was none. I couldn’t believe it It didn’t go out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Talked to my guy who did all mine and he confirmed 65-70 impalas you wanna go 1 1/4 inches off each side for sure! Only 58-64 Impala can go 1 inch but 1 1/4 inches is better. Anymore and it’s a dedicated lowrider with reverse wheels only. And any less and you’re only hitting front and back no side to side or 3 wheel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Talked to my guy who did all mine and he confirmed 65-70 impalas you wanna go 1 1/4 inches off each side for sure! Only 58-64 Impala can go 1 inch but 1 1/4 inches is better. Anymore and it’s a dedicated lowrider with reverse wheels only. And any less and you’re only hitting front and back no side to side or 3 wheel.
Thanks for checking that for me. It‘s good to know I can still run stocks with a 2.5” shortened rear end.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What’s up bro. One last question... I know with some impalas, like the 64s for example, the axles can come out while driving once they’ve been shortened and running 13s. Is this a problem with the 66s? Should I get the axles tack welded in? Don’t want any axles walking on me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What’s up bro. One last question... I know with some impalas, like the 64s for example, the axles can come out while driving once they’ve been shortened and running 13s. Is this a problem with the 66s? Should I get the axles tack welded in? Don’t want any axles walking on me.
Did you ever narrow your rear end yet?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you ever narrow your rear end yet?
No, not yet. It won’t be until next year when I have it painted and skirts put on. I was gonna paint it June of this year and do it after that but I changed my mind. I knew I wasn’t gonna do it right away. I’m just trying to get as much knowledge as early as I can since layitlow is so slow nowadays.
Here‘s my build thread on my car 1966 Impala “LOWRIDING IS DEAD”

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a narrowed ford 9 inch housing if you want a already narrowed rear. Just buy the guts and you got a new posi rear end that’s beefy and narrowed.

641 - 659 of 659 Posts