LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 Olds Delta 88 has the TH200C tranny. :uh: It works great when cold but when it gets warm it stays in 3rd when i have slowed down to stop at junctions... so when i go again it wont accelerate right until i put my foot down hard, then it will change down and take off... but then it sometimes changes back up too soon and struggles again.

Anyone know what could be wrong with it?

I had someone say that it could be the TV cable adjusted wrong. And i had someone say that it could be the torque converter.. they said that i should unplug the converter from the side of the tranny and see if it runs ok with it disconnected... is this ok or will that over heat and wreck my trans?

Thanks guys :cool:

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
or the band may need adjustment and stays stuck when it downshifts when ur stoping

how ur fluid? is it like cherry red or is it purplish brown?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluids seem ok.. i might get it drained at put new in just ioncase though because it hasnt been changed for a while.

thanks

·
Banned
515 Posts
There is no band adjustment on the 200 or 200r4. You are experiencing problems due to worn / brittle clutch pack seals and worn out 1-2 clutchpacks, (they are burned and worn out). There is NOTHING wrong with the torque convertor (it needs to be attached so the tranny pump turns and creates pressure) and there is nothing wrong with the TV cable, ( it only controls the shift points of the transmission).
AAMCO Trained

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Calilolo@Sep 21 2005, 03:51 PM~3859480
There is no band adjustment on the 200 or 200r4. You are experiencing problems due to worn / brittle clutch pack seals and worn out 1-2 clutchpacks, (they are burned and worn out).  There is NOTHING wrong with the torque convertor (it needs to be attached so the tranny pump turns and creates pressure) and there is nothing wrong with the TV cable, ( it only controls the shift points of the transmission).
AAMCO Trained

thanks for the info.. is there any easy (cheap) way to fix the problems you have suggested... i know the TH200C is a crap tranny anyways but i would rather keep it because i cant afford to find another replacement.

Thanks again

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Calilolo@Sep 21 2005, 05:17 PM~3860199
My suggestion, put a TH350 in it, (a non lock-up 350), and never have problems again.
thanks mate.

how easy is it to swap in a th350? Any modifications or will if fit straight in?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the same car Oldshammer except I have a 3 speed. I went to the junk yard and pulled a 200R4 because I remember reading that the driveshaft yoke is different. For the 200R4, the yoke is the same but the mount is different so I pulled the mount with the tranny. I haven't gotten a chance to put it in yet. If you have access to another Delta88 or even a Park Avenue, use the parts you need because a yoke should be cheap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by greeneinc@Sep 22 2005, 01:56 PM~3866198
I have the same car Oldshammer except I have a 3 speed.  I went to the junk yard and pulled a 200R4 because I remember reading that the driveshaft yoke is different.  For the 200R4, the yoke is the same but the mount is different so I pulled the mount with the tranny.  I haven't gotten a chance to put it in yet.  If you have access to another Delta88 or even a Park Avenue, use the parts you need because a yoke should be cheap.

Thanks,

Unfortunatly being in England im very unlikely to get the chance to get bits from other similar cars. I really need to find which tranny is easyest to swap in... or i may have to get the Th200C rebuilt, but i dont really want to do that but i may not get a choice. At least if its rebuilt good it should last a long time... another 107000 miles maybe.

Cheers

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
TH-200
A light three speed transmission that is the same length as a TH-350. Remember, the TH-200 and TH-200C have no vacuum line (hence no vacuum modulator), only a TV cable, check and readjust. It's adjustment can destroy a tranny if incorrectly adjusted. The modulator is controlled by the TV Cable. It is not a downshift cable like the TH-350's.

Durability
If the original trans is a TH-200 then it is probably not worth rebuilding. A TH-200 is not a performance transmission from a conventional standpoint. The first thing to do, if it shifts poorly, is to service it. A used TH-350 will cost less than a rebuild for a TH-200, and will last longer. The proper way to rebuild a TH-200 is to replace it with a TH-350, which would be both cheaper and stronger.

Electrical Connections
None.

Kickdown
Through the TV cable.

Length
Same as the TH-350.

Overdrive & TCC Lockup Activation
No overdrive. The "C" model employs torque converter lockup under certain conditions.

Permutations
TH-200-4R.

TV Cable Adjustment
Correct adjustment is usually to press in on the rectangular button on the cable, press it towards the back of the car. Then move the carb throttle lever to WOT (DO NOT USE THE GAS PEDAL!!), let go of the TV cable, then the throttle, and it will self adjust. Just make sure you WOT the throttle lever on the carb! Check your service manual if you have any questions on this.

i found that online if its any help

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oftrn.htm#Transmissions

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
no problem ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Calilolo,

do you think its possible that the problem is a sticking toque converter soleniod? soemone suggested this to me, but apparently its not easy to change it in the Th200C. You need to take the tranny out and pull it apart to change it... is that right?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts