LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
400 block and crank. thats already been tanked. he said its been checked for cracks also.

$225. plus gas to pick it up 150 miles away. you guys think i should keep looking?

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Maybe... I'm not the biggest fan of 400s because of their cooling issues...

If you've got the parts (and since you've been looking for sooo long) I'd say if he can prove he did that, do it :biggrin:

I'm still trying to track down that fucker with the detector :mad:

·
Registered
989 Posts
400s cool just fine if you put 400 heads on them, regular small block heads dont have the "weep" holes in them......

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Originally posted by corndawg@Jul 29 2005, 09:58 PM
400s cool just fine if you put 400 heads on them, regular small block heads dont have the "weep" holes in them......
[snapback]3508229[/snapback]​
The water passages are smaller than 350s... I've never had trouble with them, but I know hella fools that have :dunno:

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Jul 29 2005, 04:57 PM
400 block and crank. thats already been tanked.  he said its been checked for cracks also. 
$225. plus gas to pick it up 150 miles away.  you guys think i should keep looking?
[snapback]3506341[/snapback]​

sounds alright. I would look for some 400 heads before I bought it though..

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Jul 29 2005, 03:57 PM
400 block and crank. thats already been tanked.  he said its been checked for cracks also. 
$225. plus gas to pick it up 150 miles away.  you guys think i should keep looking?
[snapback]3506341[/snapback]​
Sounds like a good price to me :cool:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
dont sound good, if you dont have crank, rods, or heads. well u said crank. but has it been turned?and to what size?what bore size is the block?you can call a core place and get a complete core for that price. witha replacement garantee.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by pink63impala@Jul 30 2005, 11:19 PM
dont sound good, if you dont have crank, rods, or heads. well u said crank. but has it been turned?and to what size?what bore size is the block?you can call a core place and get a complete core for that price. witha replacement garantee.
[snapback]3512242[/snapback]​
but then id still have to get it hot tanked! and who knows if its cracked? no "core" places here. unless your talkign about junkyards....

id need everything. but with a core, id STILL l need to buy everythign anyways!.

my goal is 450 hp to the wheels. monday im going to call up a machine shop to see what they have. i wanted something bigger than 350, but im not wanting to spend the money on a freshly built stroker, that id still ahve to rip apart, if a 400 will get me there. i wanted to go with the vortecs because theyre cheap as hell, but with my goals, i think they going to be more money than theyre worth (literally) to get what I want out of them.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
hot tanking doesnt really mean a whole lot,so dont let that sell you this engine.but i would check you local machine shop for a 400 sbc core, and to reach your 450 hp to the rear wheels, you can pretty much forget your budget ;)
being your from jersey area, i know theres somewhere to get one.if it was me, i would get a complete engine to start with,cause buying new rods, and a cank and a set of heads is gonna kill your pocket homie,then you have to get all that machined.depending on your shop, thats about 10-12 bucks a hole to bore,about 8 bucks a rod to recondition, 50-75 to grind crank, lus cleaning and assembly charges
just trying to help you out homie, i work at a machin shop ;)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by pink63impala@Jul 31 2005, 12:01 AM
hot tanking doesnt really mean a whole lot,so dont let that sell you this engine.but i would check you local machine shop for a 400 sbc core, and to reach your 450 hp to the rear wheels, you can pretty much forget your budget ;)
being your from jersey area, i know theres somewhere to get one.if it was me, i would get a complete engine to start with,cause buying new rods, and a cank and a set of heads is gonna kill your pocket homie,then you have to get all that machined.depending on your shop, thats about 10-12 bucks a hole to bore,about 8 bucks a rod to recondition, 50-75 to grind crank, lus cleaning and assembly charges
just trying to help you out homie, i work at a machin shop ;)
[snapback]3512394[/snapback]​
:cool: :cool: :cool: thats why i started the thread.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
check out

http://www.pawengineparts.com/

I think theyre about to redo their website and have more but they used to have catalogs with entire rotating assemblies, shotpeened/balanced rods, cranks, pistons, blocks, chrome etc etc at good prices. Get the GM Catalog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts