LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some questions with tilt front ends i have seen some and would like to know how to do it i have basic ideas and know how but i want some others knowledge too

·
Registered
343 Posts
are u planning on welding the hood to the fenders or having the hood still open normal but the fenders tilt?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by old_school_48@Dec 8 2003, 09:42 PM
are u planning on welding the hood to the fenders or having the hood still open normal but the fenders tilt?
i will tilt the whole thing i am making a skeleton frame for support

but i also want the hood to open normaly

i got the basic idea and i know it will work

so far my intentions are with a hydraulic cylinder push it foward a few inches and up i just would like to see some pics or get some ideas from those who have done it

·
Registered
343 Posts
the only thing i can think of is fab up some custom brackets, i've seen the shit uve built, u can do it joe :cool:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by old_school_48@Dec 8 2003, 10:01 PM
the only thing i can think of is fab up some custom brackets, i've seen the shit uve built, u can do it joe :cool:
thanks man

yeah i got it pretty much down on how it's gonna be done
i'm gonna get the metal next week i got the whole front clip off and all drawings down on paper with eraser and pencil and all calculations to figure the thing out

·
Registered
343 Posts
my tilt hood is comming along in my head, its cold out and my propane heater in the garage is outta propane so i havent worked on the truck to much, and my roof incident with the sawzall slowed the hood down a bit

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52+Dec 8 2003, 10:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joebomber52 @ Dec 8 2003, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--old_school_48@Dec 8 2003, 10:01 PM
thanks man

yeah i got it pretty much down on how it's gonna be done
i'm gonna get the metal next week i got the whole front clip off and all drawings down on paper with eraser and pencil and all calculations to figure the thing out[/b][/quote]
I'd like to see some pictures...
as this may sound a project for me as well. :biggrin: :cool:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Dec 13 2003, 07:56 PM
here's a how to article and if i was you i would use what this dude used.........

linear actuators..............

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/tiltf...ngfulltilt.html
THAT WAS GOOD HOMIE

I GOT THE JUST OF IT DOWN THE THING IS ........
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE HINGES LIKE ON "LOCO 64"

I NEED THE FRONT END TO TILT WITH THE BUMPER I GOT IT DOWN SO FAR I AM GOING TO MAKE A SKELETON FRAME TO ADD SUPPORT SO THERE WILL BE A FRAME INSIDE FENDERS AND HOOD THAT WILL BE ONE PEICE WITH THE BUMPER BRAKETS THAT I MAKE I AM MAKING BRACKETS FOR THE BUMPER THAT WILL ALLSO ACT AS A SUPPORT FOR THE WHOLE FRONT END I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE I AM A LIL PEDO RIGHT NOW :ugh: BUT ANYWAYS THE FRONT END WILL SIT ON A SKELETAL FRAME AND THE BUMPER IS MOUNTED TO THE SKELETAL FRAME ALSO IT IS ON A SHORT 2 INCH TRACK TO ALOW IT TO MOVE FOWARD BEFORE GOING UP IT WILL BE ON A AIR CYLINDER

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Joe, use box hinges. they sit flush when closed and when goup and out when you open1 I got another idea for your front end but I'm in a rush so PM me so I don't forget! ;)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I put a tilt front end on my '64 SS and it was a bitch. No fiberglass there, just heavy steel. The hood still opens too AND helps add support. The core support had to be reinforced and the front part of the frame cut and hinged. Your radiator will have to be custom mounted probably and you may have to cut the fenders to clear the door hinges, hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
im sick of seeing the hydraulic approach. get some linear actuators. can get the kind that support sattelites. ones like super jacks. no pumps, no cylinders, no mess. also more fluid movement

Last edited by OrangeCounty58 at Dec 14 2003, 08:59 PM

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by OrangeCounty58@Dec 14 2003, 07:59 PM
im sick of seeing the hydraulic approach. get some linear actuators. can get the kind that support sattelites. ones like super jacks. no pumps, no cylinders, no mess. also more fluid movement
autoloc must we say more? LOL sheesh... thank you for saying that...

People, actuators are way better than hydraulics... and quieter, and safer, and better on the world... :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Dec 14 2003, 08:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Dec 14 2003, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OrangeCounty58@Dec 14 2003, 07:59 PM
autoloc must we say more? LOL sheesh... thank you for saying that...

People, actuators are way better than hydraulics... and quieter, and safer, and better on the world... :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
i know about all the radiator stuff that is how it was going to be anyways the only part i am having trouble with is to get it to go fowar and tilt with the bumper also i just kant have it tilt it needs to tilt up so bumper guards clear the floor

but that cut the frame comment that code blue wrote :thumbsup:

also if it was the hinges it wouldn't be much trouble it is the door skin it has a curve to it :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts