LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

time for patterns -

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  SWITCHCRAFT 
#1 ·

its realley hard to get a good shot of it right.

the abalon flake on the side is over black - depending on where you stand it looks gold or green or blue
the abalon flake on the hood is over top of silver flake over black
and the roof is blue flake over black.

so now I need to decide my patterns to spray on / and murals ( going with skulls and smoke / fire type stuff ) and then candy over top of most of it - but im thinking of leaving a fiew stripes and or designs in just bare flake with no candy on top ....

if this car showed up at your shop - what would you add to it ? I guess is basicly what im tryin to ask yall.

this pic shows before we sprayed the abalon flake on the hood and sides of car.
how it has the silver flake on the top side. it shines like chrome in the sun so I wasnt able to capture a pic of it with the abalon flakes sprayed on - this is an older pic of course since teh car is now covered in more flakes.

See less See more
#5 ·
To be honest unless you plan too do some heavy heavy patterns I suggest you start over. The reason I say is because of the tiger stripes and the way the flakes is uneven. I did that on my car and went on too candy, looks like shit when you candy over it. Like the candy makes that shit pop even more.
This is what I mean. The worst part is the Bottom by the door/fender.

What I did is I think the same thing you did. My nephew is starting to paint and was helping me out. Hes actually pretty good but I fucked up. I let him do the flakes on the bottom of the car (Hes only 12) and he did the fender, then the door just like he was doing a base coat clear coat. I didnt tell him to walk the entire car. By the time I walked around to check on him the damage had been done. Instead of redoing it I just candied and I HATE it.
But I've posted it on here. I have a hard time doing metallics on hoods, trunks and roofs. They always seem to tiger on me. So I usually just let my Pops handle those and if we do candy I wont even risk it and make him do the candy.

#7 ·
yeah we noticed how a fiew areas got hit with more flake than others - seems like the door lines just ate that flake up - while the centers of the pannels diddnt take as much.

we are going to spray one more time flake on the car to try and "fill in" the tiger stripes - and I was telling my bro that we gota spray outside in the sunlight to be able to actually see the areas of problem.
I guess we will see how it looks with one more coat on.

#8 ·
WHEN YOU RESPRAY THE FLAKE MAKE SURE YOU WALK THE WHOLE CAR THAT WILL HELP YOU SO THAT YOU WONT GET ZEBRA STRIPES AND DONT SPRAY PANEL BY PANEL THATS WHAT I THINK YOU DID BEFORE AND MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY GOOD OVER LAPS WITH THE FLAKES WHEN YOU WALKING THE CAR... HOPE THIS HELPS OUT :cool:

#10 ·
Originally posted by CADILLAC D@Feb 16 2010, 09:24 PM~16634266
WHEN YOU RESPRAY THE FLAKE MAKE SURE YOU WALK THE WHOLE CAR THAT WILL HELP YOU SO THAT YOU WONT GET ZEBRA STRIPES AND DONT SPRAY PANEL BY PANEL THATS WHAT I THINK YOU DID BEFORE AND MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY GOOD OVER LAPS WITH THE FLAKES WHEN YOU WALKING THE CAR... HOPE THIS HELPS OUT  :cool:

How much do you Overlap your Flake 50% like Clear Coat or do you do 75% like when Spraying Kandy? Or you just do whatever til you get the effect you want? :cheesy:

#11 ·
Originally posted by cutebratt04@Feb 16 2010, 09:15 PM~16635073
How much do you Overlap your Flake 50% like Clear Coat or do you do 75% like when Spraying Kandy? Or you just do whatever til you get the effect you want?  :cheesy:
I do 75% but thats not near as important as walking the car

#14 ·
Originally posted by Ese Caqui+Feb 17 2010, 09:59 AM~16639004-->
I do 75%  but thats not near as important as walking the car
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-lowdeville
@Feb 17 2010, 12:43 PM~16640276
wider fan,75% overlap,walk full length,and don't try to do it in a couple coats.

I know bout walking the length of the car, I just wanted to know what % of Overlap the Big Dogs shoot their Flakes at! :cheesy: Thanks Guys! :biggrin: Cuz Eventually I'll be shooting Kandy Flames with Flake On my hood n front fenders and wanted to know how most people shoot Flake :cool:

#15 ·
Originally posted by cutebratt04@Feb 17 2010, 11:11 PM~16648018
I know bout walking the length of the car, I just wanted to know what % of Overlap the Big Dogs shoot their Flakes at!  :cheesy: Thanks Guys!  :biggrin: Cuz Eventually I'll be shooting Kandy Flames with Flake On my hood n front fenders and wanted to know how most people shoot Flake  :cool:
:cool: I've seen your work! You do good stuff.

#19 ·
Originally posted by bigshod@Feb 17 2010, 04:35 AM~16634473
what causes the stripes and i got it spraying clear once never figured wut it was or the solution to take...can u help? :happysad:

stripes happen in the basecoat mostly from not walking the length of the car

the stripes you got were not from the clear they were in the basecoat and you didn't notice until you shot the clear which magnifies it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.