LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 84 caprice (305 cid) and the chain is bad. How hard is it to install a new one. The old one and all the stuff in the way like altenator and fan is already removed. The only thing i worry about is putting every thing back together right because I'm not the one who took it off. I never did this before and have no clue about how to use a timing light.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did alot of stereo work. I used to work for the md state police electronics dept. intstalling cameras lojack radios and repeaters but not to much engine shit. only really maintenance things like plugs distributors and a window washer motor.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
every thing is off already. i just got to put the new one on and all the stuff that was in the way. How do you use the timing light?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Did you make sure the dots where close together and were inline with the crank and cam gear?

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Yes the dots on the cam & crank gears need to line up & have the #1 piston on TDC when you do this.

The hard part is definetely going to be putting the shit back on that you didn't take off & getting all the bolts in the right spots.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by immortalsouljah@Dec 2 2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys. Now how do i use the timing light?
I havn't master that because it seems like they never run right where it's supposed to be. I usually have an old schooler due it by feel & sound of how it runs.

Ideally it supposed to work like this.

Find out what your timing is supposed to be set at i.e 4degrees before your timing mark.

Mark it with a white paint marker or chalk.

Loosen your distributor bolt & unplug your vaccum advance hose from the dist & plug the hose with a pencil or something.

Hook up the terminals to your battery positive & negative
The other wire with the clamp lookin thing on the end goes on your #1 plug wire & it should have a arrow that should point the direction of the elecrical current.

With the car running the light should flash like a strobe, point it to the timing mark on the crank that you marked with chalk & move your distributor one way or the other until the marks line up.

When your done don't forget to tighten the dist bolt back down & plug the vacuum advance back into the dist.

I also forgot to mention that when the car is running & your lining up the marks you have to rev the engine to a specific RPM speed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot man. So i need someone to rev the engine while a make the adjustments? How do i do it with no tach?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
are you trying to use the timing light on the timing chain job cause if you are you got at it all wrong all you have to do for the timing chain is make sure the dots on the gears line up the gears where the timing chain is you line them up by turning the engine from the crank shaft the one all the way at the bottom once the dots line up change the chain and put everything back together :cool:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i dont need the light at all. when i install the chain the timing will be correct.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just changed my timing belt on my 81 regal. first time doing this it was easy taking everything off and on just remember to line up does dots. also you might want to take the oil pan off and clean it . I did this because there was alot of lil metal and plastic parts from the timing belt gear and change the oil pan filter ( I think thats what its called ) thats inside the oil pan, also check your oil pump too, might as well since its all off

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx. Hopefully i can pick the car up tommorow or saturday if it dosen't snow. I fuck hate the winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts