LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to do my own interior in my cutlass, Ive never done it before but I never painted before either and I was able to learn, So Im looking for advice any pit falls to look out for and also where are good places it get materels, what would be the best sowing machine to get.

Thanks in advance for any info..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
painting is cheaper than doin ur own interior it'll cost you the same and get done way faster to get ur whole car done by a good upholster as it will to buy just a good sewing machine not including the different foots, materials, piping, thread, all that good stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 15 2008, 02:18 AM~12432566
painting is cheaper than doin ur own interior it'll cost you the same and get done way faster to get ur whole car done by a good upholster as it will to buy just a good sewing machine not including the different foots, materials, piping, thread, all that good stuff
Well its not really about saving cash its just i want to be able to do it all at the shop.
Plus trust me the guns, tips aircompressor, line filters wheren't cheap..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
go for it if you have the cash then once you got the machine you can do other interiors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
make sure to use the right needle for the material you are using, try to get every stitch as close as you can i recommend you go around it twice to be sure ;)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Don't forget about back stitching to lock the stitches in place and have a lot of patience. good place for material around here is Jo-Ann fabric or Hancock fabric, if you can find a good place that's local you'll save a ton on shipping and not have to wait for the material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
Originally posted by Grimaldo@Dec 16 2008, 05:54 PM~12449460
make sure to use the right needle for the material you are using, try to get every stitch as close as you can i recommend you go around it twice to be sure ;)
no dont do that, itll cause your fabric to rip from the seams like pages out of a tear out notebooks. youre going to need these things

a walking foot sewing machine, run about 500 to 600 bucks average. get a consew, singer, or juki. try to find one with reverse

air compressor which im sure you already have

staple gun and staples

yard stick

big industrial scissors

chalk

big spools of thread for CAR INTERIORS

air glue gun and glue. or spray can glue if its small jobs

hog pliers and hog clips

extra needles for your machine

sewing machine oil

a big ass table or enough room on the floor to cut fabric

special foot for doing the piping

the fabric/vinyls and foam. 1/2 inch on doors, more than that for seats when it comes to foam thickness

someone to show you how to thread it all up so you can rethread it all yourself when you change thread

make sure table has thread spool winder on side by the belt

12 pack of beer, radio playing some music and PATIENCE

i do my own interiors, its fun and i enjoy it alot. id rather spend the money buying the stuff i need to do it and do it on my own and learn than pay to get it done. and its what i did. when youre done you can do work for others and get your money back that you paid for your stuff, then profit later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
you should have it done at a local shop by the time you have everthing you need it will cost way much more plus its worth having done right once but if you had to just have the seats done then dye your panels your self but at least have them do the seats nice for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
Originally posted by impalaray@Dec 17 2008, 03:59 AM~12453260
no dont do that, itll cause your fabric to rip from the seams like pages out of a tear out notebooks. youre going to need these things

a walking foot sewing machine, run about 500 to 600 bucks average. get a consew, singer, or juki. try to find one with reverse

air compressor which im sure you already have

staple gun and staples

yard stick

big industrial scissors

chalk

big spools of thread for CAR INTERIORS

air glue gun and glue. or spray can glue if its small jobs

hog pliers and hog clips

extra needles for your machine

sewing machine oil

a big ass table or enough room on the floor to cut fabric

special foot for doing the piping

the fabric/vinyls and foam. 1/2 inch on doors, more than that for seats when it comes to foam thickness

someone to show you how to thread it all up so you can rethread it all yourself when you change thread

make sure table has thread spool winder on side by the belt

12 pack of beer, radio playing some music and PATIENCE

i do my own interiors, its fun and i enjoy it alot. id rather spend the money buying the stuff i need to do it and do it on my own and learn than pay to get it done. and its what i did. when youre done you can do work for others and get your money back that you paid for your stuff, then profit later
this is exactly what you need i do this too. i learned cause this is what my uncle does so i learned i got tired of waiting for him so i helped him and learned 10 years ago and ive been doing it since.. you can also get practice by spending time at an upholstery shop they can use the help and you can learn..
when you are ready make sure u get a razor and remove all seams then steam or iron out the pattern to make the pattern on the new material
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by impalaray+Dec 17 2008, 04:59 AM~12453260-->
no dont do that, itll cause your fabric to rip from the seams like pages out of a tear out notebooks. youre going to need these things

a walking foot sewing machine, run about 500 to 600 bucks average. get a consew, singer, or juki. try to find one with reverse

air compressor which im sure you already have

staple gun and staples

yard stick

big industrial scissors

chalk

big spools of thread for CAR INTERIORS

air glue gun and glue. or spray can glue if its small jobs

hog pliers and hog clips

extra needles for your machine

sewing machine oil

a big ass table or enough room on the floor to cut fabric

special foot for doing the piping

the fabric/vinyls and foam. 1/2 inch on doors, more than that for seats when it comes to foam thickness

someone to show you how to thread it all up so you can rethread it all yourself when you change thread

make sure table has thread spool winder on side by the belt

12 pack of beer, radio playing some music and PATIENCE

i do my own interiors, its fun and i enjoy it alot. id rather spend the money buying the stuff i need to do it and do it on my own and learn than pay to get it done. and its what i did. when youre done you can do work for others and get your money back that you paid for your stuff, then profit later
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-pepes21
@Dec 19 2008, 10:56 AM~12474933
this is exactly what you need i do this too. i learned cause this is what my uncle does so i learned i got tired of waiting for him so i helped him and learned 10 years ago and ive been doing it since.. you can also get practice by spending time at an upholstery shop they can use the help and you can learn..
when you are ready make sure u get a razor and remove all seams then steam or iron out the pattern to make the pattern on the new material
Thanks guys, Yea Im going to go for it and start getting the stuff together. We'll see how it goes , I'll post pics when i start it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by Level33@Dec 20 2008, 01:45 AM~12481678
Thanks guys, Yea Im going to go for it and start getting the stuff together. We'll see how it goes , I'll post pics when i start it
Practice makes perfect.I did my own interior when I was 15,Im 19 now and Ive redone it 4 times.Its gotten alot better ever time I redo it and it gets alot of attention at shows.It is in the works of getting redone again.Im self tought,took alot of time and practice but is well worth it.My latest was a convertable top boot with the button snaps for my brothers 65,It turned out amazing.Quality wise its up there with the proffessionals :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
yup have to take practice cause nobody is going to do it for u or for free lol
i been doing my own int in my cut for this year but its cold in kansas so i have to wait for the nice sun to come out here is was the int used to look like to now still in work tho

 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top