LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can happen when you put too much oil in a motor?

People always say more oil is better than no oil which is true, but can you put too much in?

I mean lets just say you took a SBC that requires 5 quarts, and instead of the 5 you put in 9.

Could anything bad happen by doing this?

·
49,409 Posts
Yep......you'll fuck up your seals - I promise you that!

L8 :cool:

·
Registered
989 Posts
reminds me of the time me and my dad was workin on the monte......we broke in the cam and got the headers on and the next day we came to finish up on it and he forgot to drain the old oil and put 5 more in and its a good thing he did check it cuz that can fuck up the engine and not only that the oil you break in with shouldnt be used again cuz of all the little metal flakes from the break in

·
Registered
25,983 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Dec 28 2003, 04:29 PM
What can happen when you put too much oil in a motor?

People always say more oil is better than no oil which is true, but can you put too much in?

I mean lets just say you took a SBC that requires 5 quarts, and instead of the 5 you put in 9.

Could anything bad happen by doing this?
try it and find out ;)

Seriously tho, the level will be so high you will burn it constantly, it's quite a sight actually :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
what happens is if the oil level is to high the oil will actually come incontact wit the crankshaft and like a cake dough mixer will beat air into your oil oxidizing it and therefore giving it a pilsner-like foam, rather than 100percent oil going to your motor itll be like 50/50 air and oil, thats y if you overfill it too much youll know after a while when your oil pressure drops and theres bubbles all over the top of the grided area of your dipp stick.

·
Registered
25,983 Posts
Originally posted by Chris@Dec 29 2003, 02:01 AM
overfill=fucked seals
will also smoke like a motherfucker, When I worked at precision tune this chick brought in her subaru it was smoking like nothing I had ever seen, it had about 7 1/2 quarts in it

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Dec 29 2003, 06:03 AM
:0

yeah overfilling's a bitch!
My wife said the same thing last night

;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Too be honest with you, it's better to have a little less oil, than a little more than the recomended amount.

If the level is in the shaded area of the dipstick, you're fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
less is always more :biggrin: how do ya think those cadi northstars hit 150-200k?? they always burn up a quart or 2 between oil changes! But then again they take about 8 quarts to begin with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts