LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being im totaly new with hydralics....

The chevette has cce pumps... Now... the front cce cylinders leaked, ( come to find out it was only the caps being loose) so I got those fixed, now the fluid is low. ? is.... one has what appears to be hydralic oil and one has what looks like auto tranny fluid. I would assume id use hydralic oil, but I want to make sure. So which is it?

Also, its got four 6Volt batteries wired in a series, the batteries are dead. With only a 12V charger how can I charge em. I always thought, two 6v wired into a series, could be chared with 12volt charger, by using neg on one and pos on the other, so I unhooked two from the series, and starting out it was charging, this morning only 25% charge and the charger was smoking.

Why 6v's and not 12v's in the first place, amperage issue? Would I benefit by leaving the 6v's or putting in optima's instead ( could get a quick sponsorship for two)

Thansk for the help and tolerance to the newbie questions in advance....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Originally posted by 4x4chevette@Sep 18 2005, 05:51 PM~3838911
Being im totaly new with hydralics....

The chevette has cce pumps... Now... the front cce cylinders leaked, ( come to find out it was only the caps being loose) so I got those fixed, now the fluid is low. ? is.... one has what appears to be hydralic oil and one has what looks like auto tranny fluid. I would assume id use hydralic oil, but I want to make sure.  So which is it?
Also, its got four  6Volt batteries wired in a series, the batteries are dead. With only a 12V charger how can I charge em. I always thought, two 6v wired into a series, could be chared with 12volt charger, by using neg on one and pos on the other, so I unhooked two from the series, and starting out it was charging, this morning only 25% charge and the charger was smoking.

Why 6v's and not 12v's in the first place, amperage issue?  Would I benefit by leaving the 6v's or putting in optima's instead  ( could get a quick sponsorship for two)

Thansk for the help and tolerance to the newbie questions in advance....
I saw that car being sold on ebay a while back.

What I would do is drain all the fluid from the pumps. You can either do it properly and take them out of the car. Drain the oil, remove the tank and clean the insides of it.

or

you can take the hose off each cylinder and hit the switch until no more fluid comes out.

Then fill them back up with 30W Non Detergent motor oil or hydraulic fluid.

Most of the chargers that I have seen, even the cheapy models have a 6V and 12V setting. You could charge each battery like that as opposed to wiring things in series.

Honestly, If you bought that car from ebay, I think you inherited some problems.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Another thing, I don't know why there would be 6V batteries instead of 12V, but there is nothing wrong with running some Optimas in there.

Make sure that you charge on low amps. I'd say nothing more than 5. Anything more will severely affect the life of your batteries

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt get it from ebay, I got it from the guy that got it from ebay.... so I got to check out all the problems.... Ive got everything fixed spending no cash except the front end.... chevette's have little tiny suspension and steering components, and those dotn hodl well to the bouncing... gonna build some tubalur a-arm and remount the cylinders with some more bracing as well then it should be fine.

I have an fairly exspensive charger and it doesnt have the 6v setting. Some exspensive one huh! Guess I'll swap over to optima's and be done with it. Friend of mines owns a chain of battery stores and has already gave me a yellow top for my off-road truck.... I should be able tgo easily get two freebies and two more at cost no problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts