LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Kiss Of Death
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i rented the tow dolly, the guy at u-haul said i had to disconnect the drive shaft or else the tranny was gonna burn up: is that true??? anybody ever tow with a tow dolly??? well if it is true, then i now need a new tranny, cuz i didn't do it!!!!

i already had to rig the car up with 2x4's as spacers cuz it was sitting to low to tow...so fuck it...i guess ill find out, when i try to drive it, huh???

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I Towed my couisin's mustang from waco 3 year's ago
we did'nt do it too. he's still driveing the car
" work's fine "
Them U-Hual boy's just like the
AutoZone boy's
Dont know Shit !!!!

·
Kiss Of Death
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by TECHNIQUES SEXYTHREE@Sep 9 2005, 10:36 AM~3782209
" work's fine "
Them U-Hual boy's  just like the
AutoZone boy's
Dont know Shit !!!!
yea no shit, huh???

anybody ever hear about this... :dunno:

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
I don't know man, I've never heard anything like this before. Seems to me as long as you're in Neutral you should be fine. Think about all the people who use tow bars and dollies to tow vehicles. Seems like a lot of trouble to pull the driveshaft, and for what?

·
Super Moderator
113,342 Posts
I take the driveshaft off when using a tow dolly.

·
Super Moderator
113,342 Posts
Originally posted by TECHNIQUES SEXYTHREE@Sep 9 2005, 09:36 AM~3782209
" work's fine "
Them U-Hual boy's  just like the
AutoZone boy's
Dont know Shit !!!!
was the Mustang standard or automatic? if standard, you just don't put it in gear.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
whan the tow truck's take your ride them ass hole's dont
take off nutthing.
But they dont care about our ride's

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
put it in Neutral,Neutral,Neutral,Neutral,Neutral if you didn't and travel for a while your fucked....

·
Kiss Of Death
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by DJLATIN@Sep 9 2005, 12:39 PM~3782954
I take the driveshaft off when using a tow dolly.
ey latin, were you told to take it off...or did you just do it from past experiance???

·
Super Moderator
113,342 Posts
Originally posted by RALPH_DOGG@Sep 9 2005, 11:47 AM~3782984
ey latin, were you told to take it off...or did you just do it from past experiance???
past experience and also was told years ago by people. had a transmission start to slip due to a long haul once. ever since then, i take the time to take it off even if it is towing locally.

·
Kiss Of Death
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by DJLATIN@Sep 9 2005, 12:49 PM~3782999
past experience and also was told years ago by people.  had a transmission start to slip due to a long haul once.  ever since then, i take the time to take it off even if it is towing locally.
it was only like a 3 hour tow...if it fucks up...oh well, fix it right??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i remember couple years back dude was towing his truck to phoenix on a dolly. soon as he took it off the dolly his tranny was done. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
they say you don't want all those internal parts moving around w/o pressurized fluid. But I see so many old farts pulling thier saturns behind thier big ass mobile homes, that I'd just take the chance

·
Registered
177 Posts
Take the drive shaft off during a long haul...anything over 20 to 30 miles. After about 20 miles there could be significant damage due to the transmission over heating. The transmission fluid pump is operated by the flywheel...if the motor is off, no fluid is moving around in the transmission. If you remove the driveshaft the gears in the tranny will not move so your good.....but if the driveshaft is left in place, the rear end will turn the drive shaft and the rear unit of the tranny. Is it likely to happen....no not really....but its better to take 15 mins and drop it then to risk spending hundreds on a rebuild. As for the comment made about tow hitches and tow vehicles....almost all of them are 4 wheel drive which is a totally different lubrication system and those that are not have a "self lubricating system" added on to them. Even at that, it is still recommended that the tow vehicles be turned on after about 200 miles to relube the tranny. Hope this info is helpful......

Arthur Solis
soliscustoms.com

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I guess me and my cuisin got lucky :0
you guy's make good point's......

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Originally posted by soliscustoms@Sep 9 2005, 12:16 PM~3783485
Take the drive shaft off during a long haul...anything over 20 to 30 miles.  After about 20 miles there could be significant damage due to the transmission over heating.  The transmission fluid pump is operated by the flywheel...if the motor is off, no fluid is moving around in the transmission.  If you remove the driveshaft the gears in the tranny will not move so your good.....but if the driveshaft is left in place, the rear end will turn the drive shaft and the rear unit of the tranny.  Is it likely to happen....no not really....but its better to take 15 mins and drop it then to risk spending hundreds on a rebuild.  As for the comment made about tow hitches and tow vehicles....almost all of them are 4 wheel drive which is a totally different lubrication system and those that are not have a "self lubricating system" added on to them.  Even at that, it is still recommended that the tow vehicles be turned on after about 200 miles to relube the tranny.  Hope this info is helpful......

Arthur Solis
soliscustoms.com
That's exactly what I was told too, and not by Ryder's/Uhaul but by a mechanic that worked on my cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts