LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new axle shaft for my 92 TC... do I have to get one form a 92 and only a 92 or will one fit from any 90-97 TC's? Also, since its an 8.8rearend, will any axle shaft form a car that has the same rear end work on my 92 TC? thanks :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by Hop2This@Nov 1 2003, 12:32 PM
I need a new axle shaft for my 92 TC... do I have to get one form a 92 and only a 92 or will one fit from any 90-97 TC's? Also, since its an 8.8rearend, will any axle shaft form a car that has the same rear end work on my 92 TC? thanks :cool:
I know for sure 91-94 will work & probably 95-97 but not sure. Also 91-94 grand marquis should work because there built on the same chassis/drivetrain

What happened to yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say 91-94 Shouldnt 90 be included in there?
My wheel bearings got too hot and welded themselves together, creating a 1/4" divit around my driver side axle shaft... I think it was due to lack of lubrication cuz I changed the diff. cover, I pry didnt put enuf fluid in or a lil was leakin and I never replaced wit more fluid... I got a homie hookin me up wit a new shaft out of a 90, will that work for my 92?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by Hop2This@Nov 5 2003, 06:58 PM
When you say 91-94 Shouldnt 90 be included in there?
My wheel bearings got too hot and welded themselves together, creating a 1/4" divit around my driver side axle shaft... I think it was due to lack of lubrication cuz I changed the diff. cover, I pry didnt put enuf fluid in or a lil was leakin and I never replaced wit more fluid... I got a homie hookin me up wit a new shaft out of a 90, will that work for my 92?
You better check to be sure first!!!


Even though they look alike (same body style) There are many many parts that will not interchange from a 90 toa 91 because 90 was the first year of the that body style but was still useing the old body style engine & drivetrain 302ci 5.0 Litre. It wasn't until 91 that they made alot of changes like going to the 4.6L overhead cam, different tranny, therefor there is a very good possibility the rearend is different. I used to be a mechanic at a Lincoln dealership in Troy Ohio but I quit there in late 94 right when they were making more changes to the town car & cont. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I jus talked ot my homie about it, hes hookin me up wit a 91 axle shaft, cuz like you sed the parts are different like the rear drums on the 90 unlike the disc brakes I have on my 92... Thanks for the help homie ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Originally posted by IRONHEAD@Nov 7 2003, 08:10 PM
my Town Car is a 90 with drums and i replaced one of my axles with one from a 91 with discs their the same.
the only way they are the same is if you dont have rear abs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Originally posted by 3wheelnlincoln+Nov 8 2003, 03:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3wheelnlincoln @ Nov 8 2003, 03:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--IRONHEAD@Nov 7 2003, 08:10 PM
my Town Car is a 90 with drums and i replaced one of my axles with one from a 91 with discs their the same.
the only way they are the same is if you dont have rear abs[/b][/quote]
yea the one i used didnt have ABS i didnt think to mintion that ,sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by IRONHEAD+Nov 7 2003, 08:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IRONHEAD @ Nov 7 2003, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 03:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--IRONHEAD
@Nov 7 2003, 08:10 PM
my Town Car is a 90 with drums and i replaced one of my axles with one from a 91 with discs their the same.

the only way they are the same is if you dont have rear abs
yea the one i used didnt have ABS i didnt think to mintion that ,sorry[/b][/quote]
I used to work at dealer & I havn't seen a 91 without ABS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
there all the same exept the ones with REAR abs like 3wheelin said. ive had 2 91 and i got a 96 not. my wheel bearing just went out less than a month ago. crown vics, grand marquis, towncars all got the same shit. disc or drum, same axle shaft. 90-97. newer crown vics will work too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood+Nov 8 2003, 04:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2drWood @ Nov 8 2003, 04:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 03:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--IRONHEAD
@Nov 7 2003, 08:10 PM
my Town Car is a 90 with drums and i replaced one of my axles with one from a 91 with discs their the same.

the only way they are the same is if you dont have rear abs

yea the one i used didnt have ABS i didnt think to mintion that ,sorry
I used to work at dealer & I havn't seen a 91 without ABS[/b][/quote]
disconnect the sensor. voila. no rear abs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood+Nov 8 2003, 02:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2drWood @ Nov 8 2003, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 03:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--IRONHEAD
@Nov 7 2003, 08:10 PM
my Town Car is a 90 with drums and i replaced one of my axles with one from a 91 with discs their the same.

the only way they are the same is if you dont have rear abs

yea the one i used didnt have ABS i didnt think to mintion that ,sorry
I used to work at dealer & I havn't seen a 91 without ABS[/b][/quote]
my 91 has no abs!! also auto zone sells a axle saver kit it moves the bearings out more for better support,if u replace the bearing the savers help out in the long run better than replacing them with stock bearings
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top