LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a tranny flush on my 89 caprice, its got the 305 in it, but for the life of me I can't find the tranny fill or resovior. I see the red dipstick under the hood but it seem to small to fill it throuhg there? anyone got any solutions, ive read the haynes manual but that wasn't much help.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
With the tranny fluid already drained, filter and pan replaced,

1. Remove dipstick
2. Put a funnel in the hole
3. Fill with transmission fluid
4. Check level (with car running) and repeat as necessary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many quarts of atf would it take i cant find it anywhere besides the fat it takes dexron 3 atf.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
You're welcome! :thumbsup: Like homie said, just by dropping the pan and draining the fluid out, you only actually change 1/3 - 1/2 of it at a time. That's OK though; what you don't want to do is over-fill it. It should take like 7 quarts or something if it were completely empty, but it's not! Start out with 1 - 1-1/2 quarts. Check it. Add a little bit as necessary. Don't just dump a bunch in without checking intermittantly because you will get too much in there. In fact, get it to about where the full line is on the dipstick and then drive it. Check it again after running it though the gears and top it off if necessary.

Good luck man. It's really not that hard. You can do it! :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts