LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my drive shaft. I noticed that the output shaft from the tranny is pretty loose. It seems to have alot of slop. There is also oil leaking out from the back of the tranny. Is this becase i removed the drive shaft?. Is the out put shaft supposed to have some slop in it? Is it ok for oil to come out there with the driveshaft out? What action should be taken if this is not ok?

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
ummm there shouldn't be any play in it as far as i know...and yes its ok for some oil to come out if its on an angle.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
There should be very little play on the output shaft. If there is to much play, about 1/2 in. then the bearings are going out inside the tranny, this is why the rear output seal is leaking. With the driveline out, you will get some tranny fluid out, but with the driveline in there should be no tranny fluid coming from the rear output seal. Rebuild your tranny or keep putting rear output seals in every couple of months. The seals are only about $10 but the hassel of dropping the driveline and changing that rear seal sucks! :angry: Good luck :)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
can get the seals from napa for about 5 bucks....very easy to replace....just pull it out and tap the new one in

·
Registered
22 Posts
To replace the rear output seal you will need a Flat or Blade screwdriver, a hammer, and maybe a pair of Channel Locks. Use the screwdriver and the hammer and put the screwdriver between the seal and the tail of the tranny. With the hammer knock it out slowly, intil it breaks loose, than do the same thing to the other side. Either work it out with the screwdriver or take the channel lock and pull it out. Now put the new seal back in, tap it easy (top, bottom, side, and side) this will make the seal go in evenly and not get the seal out of round. Put some old tranny fluid on the rubber of the seal and put the driveline in. The tranny fluid will keep a new seal from tearing. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts