LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a solid TH 350 tranny that I am goin to put in my 83 monte. I cant afford a complete rebuild but what kind of things should be done to the tranny while it is out. (other than seals)
Any help is appreciated.

:biggrin:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's up man -

I have had a couple cars with the TH350 transmission. It's a good transmission. unlike manual transmissions, transmissions are hard to trouble shoot without knowing what your doing and tearing the whole thing apart. all you can do is observe what you see when you remove the trans. oil pan. If the oil was black, burnt, or if it sliped/didn't shift at all, then that would probably be a good indicator to rebuild. but you said it was solid, so let's assume that it doesn't need to be rebuilt.
The only thing you can really do to it is add a shift kit. I've never used one, but I have driven in a truck that had a shift kit. All it does make the tranny shift hard. I don't recommend it at all. When we cruz, we'd like to have a smooth shifting transmission right? Right!
one thing you can consider on doing is get a heavy duty torque converter for your tranny. I have a 59 Chevy I'm building with a 327/TH350 set up. the trans is rebuilt and I have installed a heay duty torque converter. When I test drive it, I'll be able to see if that thing makes a difference. something for you to consider... later

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
replace the fillter, seals, ect...
if you want prefomance, you can get an adjustable vacume modulator(you can change the shift points(kind of), high stall converter, new valve body.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Actually. you should install a shift kit, it will make the transmission last longer and shift quicker. You should also have the accumulter spring cut by 3 to 4 links, about 1/2 of it, to allow a quicker shift. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, remove the valve body, after doing so, remove the top 2 steel balls, replace the valve body without destroying the gasket and be sure to replace the filter, 350's are the worlds dirtiest but longest lasting transmissions. The accumulater is located on the middle right side of the transmission.
Stand the transmission upright and replace the front seal, bushing if the torque converter shaft shows signs of wear and lastly remove the front pump and replace the front pump gasket and O-ring. You will be glad you did this, due to leaks starting in this area.
If you want a hard shift use a red stripe modulater and if you want a fast and smoother shift, use a blue stripe mondulator, you can adjust the shift points by screwing in the shift screww inward for a delayed shift or outward for a quicker shift.
Disregard the torque converter exchange, not needed and a waste of money.

Last edited by CaliLow at Nov 17 2003, 10:36 AM

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks alot for the help...I think that i will go with the shift kit just so that i can extend the life of my tranny and get better performance. I've never had a tranny with a kit installed but i'm thinkin that it will be for the best. It will be ready to go shortly and we'll see how she goes. :roflmao:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by Apache59@Nov 17 2003, 11:12 AM

... all you can do is observe what you see when you remove the trans. oil pan. If the oil was black, burnt, or if it sliped/didn't shift at all, then that would probably be a good indicator to rebuild....
So, if the transmission fluid is red and uncontaminated, then that's a good sign ;) .

Just a question for you experts:

My 1967 Oldsmobile has the Turbo Hydramatic transmission (Serial No. OB67 132494). Is this a TH- -something or other, or did they just call them Turbo Hydramatic in 1967? By the way, the engine is a 425ci.

:cheesy:

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Where are you located?

I can have it rebuilt for you with a year warranty from a VERY reputable man for only $200

That includes new torque converter & shift kit.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in canada....and thats a damn good price for a rebuild with the shift kit and a warrenty.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by smoovemonte@Nov 22 2003, 01:51 AM
I'm in canada....and thats a damn good price for a rebuild with the shift kit and a warrenty.
I have many people around here that can vouch for his work, from race cars to cruizers to daily rides & NOBODY has had any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts