LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 84 caprice and it has a 700r4 trans in it.
can i put a 350 trans in it with no problems and get rid of the 700r4?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Whats wrong with the R4? I have never owned one but have been told by a few different people that they are a good trans and will last a long time if you put a shift kit in them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i went the other way, 700 trans (out of an 84 caprice) went into my regal to replace my 350. i had to shorten the driveshaft in the regal though, because the 700 is about 3" bigger. oh and the crossmember is different too, that took a little reworking. check out the dimensions here
http://tech.oldsgmail.com/trans_dimen.html

ask around at the local shops, i'm sure they've seen these things done before.

good luck with it

Last edited by 84Limited at Jul 19 2003, 12:43 AM

·
Registered
64 Posts
so does this mean i can't replace my 200c transmission with any other type cause of bellhousing to mount dimension?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Jul 19 2003, 08:11 AM
Whats wrong with the R4? I have never owned one but have been told by a few different people that they are a good trans and will last a long time if you put a shift kit in them.
they are junk, I personally feel a th350 is better. a shift kit in the r4 will only make is seem better than it is. they always go and can't take abuse. I have burned out everyone I have had!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats why i was asking. it seems as it is slipping a lil when it shifts. ive hear that they are expensive to rebuild or to buy one that is rebuilt. and for the price i heard ($700-$1000), it would be worth putting a th350 in.

but i also heard that i would need to extend the driveshaft to fit
and that it would bolt right up with no problems. its my dd so i want to be prepared so it can be done in a weekend.
thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Originally posted by liquid_202mo@Jul 20 2003, 11:11 AM
thats why i was asking. it seems as it is slipping a lil when it shifts. ive hear that they are expensive to rebuild or to buy one that is rebuilt. and for the price i heard ($700-$1000), it would be worth putting a th350 in.

and that it would bolt right up with no problems. its my dd so i want to be prepared so it can be done in a weekend.
thanks
if u think the 700 is slipping a little just adjust the cable up (kick down) thats what controls the shifts on a 700r 4 sluggish= adjust it up, too hard= adjust it down 700 are good transmissions if they are adjusted right ,if not then u will have problems .i have one in my 64 impala with a 454 in it and love it .
also if u take a overdrive out and put a 3 speed in u will have bad gas mileage if u have a 3 speed and put in an overdrive u will get better gas mileage

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
youll have me playin with shit and ill be going in reverse everywhere.
i knew that about the gas mileage.
thanks though. ill ask around here to see if someone can adjust it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by liquid_202mo@Jul 22 2003, 11:22 PM
youll have me playin with shit and ill be going in reverse everywhere.
i knew that about the gas mileage.
thanks though. ill ask around here to see if someone can adjust it.
the 700R4 also has a lower first gear which results in better off the line acceleration than the TH350.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
if it had a 700r4 therearend is geared for a700r4. the 350 turbo will make the car wind high on the highway

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by liquid_202mo@Jul 20 2003, 09:11 AM

thanks
Where you from? I can get a 700 rebuilt & the guy puts a corvette piston in it to make it shift better & new convertor for $350 with a year warranty.

or rebuild Turbo's with new convertor & shift kit for $200 1yr warranty
He's very reputable around here for his work

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 2drWood+Aug 5 2003, 06:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2drWood @ Aug 5 2003, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--liquid_202mo@Jul 20 2003, 09:11 AM

thanks
Where you from? I can get a 700 rebuilt & the guy puts a corvette piston in it to make it shift better & new convertor for $350 with a year warranty.

or rebuild Turbo's with new convertor & shift kit for $200 1yr warranty
He's very reputable around here for his work[/b][/quote]
:thumbsup:
missouri

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Put a long tail housing 350 in the vehicle. I have been swapping 700's for 350's for over 15 years. Those 700r4 transmissions just don't hold up. Be sure to get a regular 350, not a lock-up 350 (overdrive).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts