LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIZ IZ THA SECOND TRANNY THAT I HAD TO REPLACE, I GOT A 1991 LINCOLN TOWNCAR 2 SHOWTIME PUMPZ 8" IN THA FRONT N 16" IN THE BACK, WHY WOULD IT KEEP BREAKING THAT REAR HOUSING, DO I NEED TO CUT MY DRIVELINE SHORTER OR EXTENDED MY TRAILING ARMS OR WHAT?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
could be both try a shorter driveline usually the driveline has to be tilted a bit but not toomuch otherwise that could be cuzing whats happining.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Also have a ??. Dont want to start a whole new topic so I'll hijack this one :biggrin: . Its related though. I just removed my drive shaft in oder to re-fab it into a teloscopic shaft. Once it was out I started checking out the tranny. I noticed that the output shaft is really loose and there is oil leakifrom there. Is it normal for it to be loose and for oil to come out there when the drive shaft is removed? It's a cuttlas G-body. thanks.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Originally posted by LUXURYSICNESS@Oct 14 2003, 12:34 AM
THIZ IZ THA SECOND TRANNY THAT I HAD TO REPLACE, I GOT A 1991 LINCOLN TOWNCAR 2 SHOWTIME PUMPZ 8" IN THA FRONT N 16" IN THE BACK, WHY WOULD IT KEEP BREAKING THAT REAR HOUSING, DO I NEED TO CUT MY DRIVELINE SHORTER OR EXTENDED MY TRAILING ARMS OR WHAT?
cylinders are too big. i had the same problem with 14's and almost no coil. shorten the driveshaft and you should be ok ;)

·
Super Smasher
3,948 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Oct 14 2003, 06:13 PM
Also have a ??. Dont want to start a whole new topic so I'll hijack this one :biggrin: . Its related though. I just removed my drive shaft in oder to re-fab it into a teloscopic shaft. Once it was out I started checking out the tranny. I noticed that the output shaft is really loose and there is oil leakifrom there. Is it normal for it to be loose and for oil to come out there when the drive shaft is removed? It's a cuttlas G-body. thanks.
if its a metric 200 the shaft does just kinda float around in there, the drive shaft centers it

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
damm no wonder you went through to housings ... any time you put 14 or bigger on stock drive shaft and trailing arms they will rip right off... almost first time you lift it... I would shorten drive shaft 1 inch and extend your upper trailing arms 1 inch.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by Dylante63+Oct 17 2003, 04:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dylante63 @ Oct 17 2003, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SERIOUSHYDROS@Oct 14 2003, 06:13 PM
if its a metric 200 the shaft does just kinda float around in there, the drive shaft centers it[/b][/quote]
Cool, hope thats it. How can I tell if Mine is a metric 200? Wll it say on the pan or something? Thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Originally posted by LD0GG@Oct 17 2003, 02:50 PM
damm no wonder you went through to housings ... any time you put 14 or bigger on stock drive shaft and trailing arms they will rip right off... almost first time you lift it... I would shorten drive shaft 1 inch and extend your upper trailing arms 1 inch.
omg i wish i wrote a book on this so everyone could refer to it :biggrin: first of all i had 20 inch cylinders in my 91 town car with all stock suspension and drive shaft and never had a problem with anything and drove it daily .some town cars come with a "towing package" these cars have no problems with hydros .the ones with out have rear end binding ,ask hotlink about when he shortened his driveshaft and x tended his trailing arms he couldnt drive it up or down only in the middle.also what size rear end do u have? 7.5 or and 8.8 its on the tag on the differential cover.from what i gather the stock trailing arms are different for the different rear ends .u need to know more things about it b4 u go cutting things down and x tending other things or u have have more problems than b4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts