LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 caprice and what can i do to stop my transmission from shifting hard, it only shifts hard in first gear then does fine.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
try a Lucas or an additive or sumthing

i bought a bottle of BAR's transmission stop leak ( becuase i had a a trans leak) and i noticed theres alot of products that can help hard shifting

i think that bars trans leak is for hard shifting and i think my car runs better

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by drug_lord@Sep 8 2005, 09:27 PM~3780388
what you mean tv cable?
That is the throttle valve cable, It runs from the carb/efi to the tranny. Controls tv pressure, downshift, and holds tranny in lower gears during WOT. Anyway it may be kinked, or just needs to be adjusted.

John

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Originally posted by REin4ST@Sep 11 2005, 08:13 AM~3792250
That is the throttle valve cable, It runs from the carb/efi to the tranny. Controls tv pressure, downshift, and holds tranny in lower gears during WOT.  Anyway it may be kinked, or just needs to be adjusted. 

John
will this kickdown cabel stop a tranny from kicking into third gear?

·
Registered
597 Posts
When I had my cutty it shifted hard, and someone told me to add that Lucus trans. shit its like 7.00 or sumin, but It worked well..I could tell a difference in the shift

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by MRA@Sep 12 2005, 07:21 AM~3796973
will this kickdown cabel stop a tranny from kicking into third gear?
be careful, its not a kickdown cable like the TH350/TH400 days of the 70s. The TV cable is on 700R4s (and newer) and metric trannys. This control UPshift as well and proper adjustment is very very important. Can it keep a trans from shifting into 3rd gear? Absolutely if its not adjusted properly. Hell if you don't hook it up, it won't shift automatically at all.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 14 2005, 04:36 AM~3811612
be careful, its not a kickdown cable like the TH350/TH400 days of the 70s. The TV cable is on 700R4s (and newer) and metric trannys. This control UPshift as well and proper adjustment is very very important.  Can it keep a trans from shifting into 3rd gear? Absolutely if its not adjusted properly. Hell if you don't hook it up, it won't shift automatically at all.
man so I did not have to but a new tranny(new to me be used)
I picked up this clean cutty and could not makes the hour drive home because it would not kick into third gear so I towed it and then I replaced the tranny but as soon as I dropped the old tranny I noticed the kickdown cable was not hooked upped to the carb I got a different tranny anyway hooked it up and it run good but should I tighten the kickdown cable all the way up are should I leave it a LIL loose? :uh:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 14 2005, 06:36 AM~3811612
be careful, its not a kickdown cable like the TH350/TH400 days of the 70s. The TV cable is on 700R4s (and newer) and metric trannys. This control UPshift as well and proper adjustment is very very important.  Can it keep a trans from shifting into 3rd gear? Absolutely if its not adjusted properly. Hell if you don't hook it up, it won't shift automatically at all.
CONTROLS PRESSURE IN THE TRANNY

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 14 2005, 08:36 AM~3811612
itll still shift :)

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 14 2005, 03:50 PM~3815573
itll still shift :)
so I did have a bad tranny huh?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts