LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its called the transaxle bolt has been heat welded in my car and I have tried just about everything to get it off. I was told that heating it with a torch and spraying penitrating oil should loosen it. I already tried to use a propane torch but that wasn't hot enough. Woulds mapp gas or oxygen work better? I'm not sure if those would work or if I need to find something even hotter.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Your talking about the hub bolt right? On my old 4x4 blazer I had to replace the front wheel bearings and tried the same thing. It didn't work. So what I did was take a breaker bar and about a 4ft long piece of pipe and broke that thing free. Make sure to use a breaker bar cause I had my socket snap on me. It was a craftsman by the way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the bolt that I am talking about. I have already tried that and I did not work at all. And to make matters worse I started using a 12 point socket and it stripped the bolt off just a little. This makes it hard to get a grip of anyways. But I was told that heating it up will help to break it free. Like I said I used a porpane torch and it wasn't hot enough. I was just wondering if a mapp torch would be hot enough or if oxygen would work better. Or if neither one those would be hot enough and I nedd to use setaline ( sorry I know a probably butcher the spelling) But thank you for the advice that worked when I had to do the other side last year.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by achates18@Sep 16 2003, 04:54 PM
That is the bolt that I am talking about. I have already tried that and I did not work at all. And to make matters worse I started using a 12 point socket and it stripped the bolt off just a little. This makes it hard to get a grip of anyways. But I was told that heating it up will help to break it free. Like I said I used a porpane torch and it wasn't hot enough. I was just wondering if a mapp torch would be hot enough or if oxygen would work better. Or if neither one those would be hot enough and I nedd to use setaline ( sorry I know a probably butcher the spelling) But thank you for the advice that worked when I had to do the other side last year.
spray wd-40 around it the light it.

but use the wd-40 sparingly and let it soak first.

:cheesy: ,

cc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts