LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cousins is blowing pumphead seals like crazy so one of my homeboys told us that they sell competition seals for pump heads, he said tha they handle more preasure. I just wanted to know if this is true or not. ;)

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass+Oct 27 2003, 12:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Big Baller 82cutlass @ Oct 27 2003, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><[email protected]@Oct 26 2003, 11:31 PM
maybe you are thinking about them steel seals,,,i have used several types of pumphead seals between the head and block
I m talking about the ones that go inside a marzzochi gear. :)[/b][/quote]
in that case I have never seen them advertised. If there are better ones, then I imagine Marzoochi Pompe would go ahead and make them standard in the heads :cool:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Oct 26 2003, 11:36 PM
If hes blowing seals, then either hes just horrible on the switch, or hes not torquing his pumpheads down right. You want to be sure to use at least 25 ft lbs of torque on each bolt.
So if you overtight the bolts thats what happens them seals blow up. He has a four pump set up two pumps to the back and two the front. :) But now he only wants to run one pump to the front and two to the back. So like that it is less preassure on just one cylinder I dont know if this helps or not. :confused:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I think he meant not tightening them down enough. If he downgraded to just one pump then it would be less pressure but, that doesn't have an effect on why the pumphead is blowing the seals. Does he overlock the system a lot?

Last edited by S10lifted at Oct 27 2003, 12:45 AM

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the pumphead does not need to be really really tight just a little bit and if is overtight you are going to blow up the seals. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Oct 27 2003, 10:17 AM
So the pumphead does not need to be really really tight just a little bit and if is overtight you are going to blow up the seals. :)
Actually no, ya got it backwards... you want the pumpheads to be TIGHT. The tighter the better in fact. Its when you dont have your pumphead torqued down enough, that you will shred seals more easily. You want to use at least 25-30 lbs of torque on each bolt, just be careful not to strip out the aluminum block.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob+Oct 27 2003, 10:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cadillac Bob @ Oct 27 2003, 10:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Big Baller 82cutlass@Oct 27 2003, 10:17 AM
Actually no, ya got it backwards... you want the pumpheads to be TIGHT. The tighter the better in fact. Its when you dont have your pumphead torqued down enough, that you will shred seals more easily. You want to use at least 25-30 lbs of torque on each bolt, just be careful not to strip out the aluminum block.[/b][/quote]
Well my cousin has the showtime blocks and they got metal inserts is that better and have you heard of competition seals for pump heads or is just bull what my homeboy said. :0 :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.