LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres gotta be an alternative, cheap or expensive way to protect the wires and rims with a spray or coating without damaging the plating of gold or chrome..

like some kind of spray to "rust free" metal rather than the major hassle of cleaning all the time and wd40 the wires..

anyone ever thought of how to rust proof these wheels with a special chemical or spray?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone is always so worried about rust. I have been rolling on wires for several years and I treat theam just like any other wheels and have never had any problems of rust. The only time I have had rust is around the nipples of some Daytons, but that was in the middle of winter. Should take your wires off when it snows anyways.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Chrome itself generally won't rust... GOOD chrome plating that is. As far as your thread goes, there are acrylic clear coats that you can spray all over the wheel to basically "plastic-ize" the wheel but most of them start to yellow over time. Or I guess you can take them to a body shop and have them clear-coated. But wheels get bombarded all the time by "fast-moving" rocks, dirt, water, etc so how long before the clear-coating will need to be stripped and reapplied? And who the hell wants to go through that.

A good chrome-plated wheel can handle most of the elements that are thrown at it without any of the "rust-proofing" you're referring to. And like your original post and one of the previous posts said, it just takes some maintenance to keep them looking good... the cleaning, waxing, etc. And like a clear coat on a car, it looks good if you wash the car regularly, but don't maintain it for a year and you'll find yourself needing a new paint job.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the best thing for that, i know, done it already, its this company that makes this stuff called POR-15, it is excellent, its a clear coat you spray over your wheels, never worry witt rust never, thats one of the POR-15's purposes, for chrome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts