LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new 3/4 horse blowjax the other day and i started installing it and it was all going good and i got it running and if you have been following me for a while you know that i dont have a pressure switch i just have a switch to turn it on and off........well i was running if for about 5 mins and it was up to like 130 psi and my switch started smoking so i turned it off and tried to turn it back on and it wouldnt come on so i checked my fuse and it was blown so i replaced it and it blew right away then i disconected the compressor and put the fuse in and it didnt blow and i replaced the switch and it is workin fine now but i am afraid the fuse will blow again.........................can you think of anything i should do

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
the compressor is drawing more amps than the switch is rated for..

install a relay, and use the switch to turn the relay on and off

what size wire are you running to it?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 26 2003, 02:07 PM
the compressor is drawing more amps than the switch is rated for..

install a relay, and use the switch to turn the relay on and off

what size wire are you running to it?
how would i run a switch off the relay

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
just get a standard 30A relay from the parts store..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 26 2003, 02:48 PM
just get a standard 30A relay from the parts store..

i got a relay and a circut breaker that is supposed to be on there but i didnt put them on......do you think if i put those on it wouldnt blow

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 857baller@Oct 26 2003, 04:58 PM
of course man it takes some load of the compressor
yeah i got lazy and decided not to put it in but i guess if it will keep it so the fuse wont blow im gunna put it in

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
dont listen to juicedin2years man...

the relay takes no load off of the compressor..

it does, however, take the load off of your switch..

what amp is the fuse, and what size is the wire?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 26 2003, 05:39 PM
dont listen to juicedin2years man...

the relay takes no load off of the compressor..

it does, however, take the load off of your switch..

what amp is the fuse, and what size is the wire?
im not sure what guage the wire is but its the biggest wire i found at orilies and it looks just like the same thing comin off of the compressor that was on there when i got it and my fuse is 60 amp

so i i put in the realy (solinoid) would it still blow

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
if the wire size is too small, theres a good chance the fuse will stillblow..

go buy an amp install kit with some 8GA wire in it, and you should be fine with the power problem

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 26 2003, 05:49 PM

go buy an amp install kit with some 8GA wire in it, and you should be fine with the power problem
I use 8 gauge wire from the battery to a 60amp stereo-amplifier type fuse. Anything else would blow too quick with that compressor. (I have the same one 3/4 HP Blowjacks).

Then the wire runs into the car where i have a large High current switch as a main power disconnect. Then it runs into the trunk to the pressure switch and then to the compressor. It works fine on the switch I use (60amp switch from Autozone) but ended up burning out the pressure switch in the tank, so it will be re-wired with a relay soon :biggrin:

·
Registered
856 Posts
if your compressor comes with a relay and a switch, why would you get lazy and not use them.you toast that compressor, your out some scratch dude.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Joe5pt0+Oct 27 2003, 10:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe5pt0 @ Oct 27 2003, 10:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--216RIDER@Oct 26 2003, 05:49 PM

I use 8 gauge wire from the battery to a 60amp stereo-amplifier type fuse. Anything else would blow too quick with that compressor. (I have the same one 3/4 HP Blowjacks).

Then the wire runs into the car where i have a large High current switch as a main power disconnect. Then it runs into the trunk to the pressure switch and then to the compressor. It works fine on the switch I use (60amp switch from Autozone) but ended up burning out the pressure switch in the tank, so it will be re-wired with a relay soon :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
i put in a relay and i circut breaker and it still blew and my compressor is running off of the stereo systems fuse.......would it be better if i just got some more amp wire and hooked it up straight to the battery

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
at least 2 people have told you to run an 8GA wire for it..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 27 2003, 08:10 PM
at least 2 people have told you to run an 8GA wire for it..
i know but i dont know if it would be considered runnin 8guage how it is now..........i didnt hook up all the electrical shit.......so i dont know how it was done

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
i do it like this i run 4 guage wirea 14 inches from +battery terminal to a 80 amp circut breakerand from there to the trunk to an amp spliter and run 1.an 8 guage from there to the pressure switch then to battery switch

and 2. a 4 guage to my compresser

basically you will need an amp kit with a splitter a battery switch and a pressure switch you probly wont be using 4 g wire though

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just got some 8 guage wire today, and a 60 amp fuse, im gunna hook it up tommorow

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i put the damn wire in and the mother fucker still blows....when it gets to about 130 psi and you shut the damn thing off and you go to turn it back on and it blows......and then if you try and put a new fuse in right away it blows.........and i just ran it straight to the battery....and i didnt even hook up that switch i just hooked up the circut breaker and the fuse and the fuse blows.........so what i did was took the fuse out and just ran it straight to the batt. without a fuse and just had a circut breaker.........and the breaker kept blowing

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
damn man, you have something strange going on..

mine started up at 160 all the time with no problems..

is it a new compressor, or did you buy it used from someone..

hell, even if it's new, it could still be fucked up, bad windings on the motor or something..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts