LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
And if you dont wanna finish the 64, jack all the accessories like the hydros, chain steering wheel etc :cool:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I came back with a 64. And I also bought a buick riviera. I'll throw these two together and see whats up with them. I also got a candy apple red spray paint. And a clear coat. Putting them together should be no problem. Painting is where I have no clue at what im doing! any painting tips??? :uh:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This is some tips i got from 1ofakind:

everybody has there own method for painting. 90% of a good paintjob is in the prep work. But here is how i do the actual painting...

First i sand the primer with 1200-1500 Grit paper. Then brush it with toothpaste. Then wash it and let it dry.

1st coat-is a mist coat, just mist some paint, don't worry about covering everything, just spray some.

2nd coat-after 20 min, i lay the second mist coat, this time trying to cover all the primer.

3rd coat- after another 20 min. I lay down the third mist coat, making sure there are no primer spots showing. If you got dust or anything, wait an hour, wetsand with 3200, then spray the 3rd coat.

I let it dry for 2-3 hr's after these coats. If the paint is not completely dry before spraying a wetcoat, solvents in the paint may dissolve the paint underneath and cause many problems, like poor coverage on the high spots, paint running, and uneven coverage.

For the wetcoats you need to get about 1 inch closer, but move your can a little faster. Add paint to the surface with steady motion until the paint starts to gloss up, or the better way to explain it would be when the paint starts to look WET. This is when you have to stop, or the paint will run After spraying the first wetcoat, cover the body with something to avoid dust in your paint. You can remove the cover in 10-15 minutes to allow the paint to gas out. Now the paint needs to cure for much longer period than 2-3 hours, maybe 24 hrs depending on the type of paint you use.

After paint has cured, you will probably see some texture to it - even if your undercoats were glass smooth. That's normal because paint gets textured while it dries. This is especially true for lacquers. Second wet coat will cover this.

About the only thing you need to do before spraying the second wetcoat, is make sure you do not have dust and other things in your paint. Wet sand them with 3600 sandpaper, and smooth out the paint with even higher grit (or toothpaste!).

now for the second wetcoat, repeat the process, and this time leave the paint to cure for at least 4-5 days

And that's it, it's ready for polishing and waxing. I don't do this on all my cars, I usually just rush through it, and end up with little shit all in the paint.

Edited by 1ofaknd - Jan 7 2004, 03:00 PM

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
i have tips posted in a couple of these posts.....

i'd have to find them.

i might even have a couple saved in word documents that i'm going to eventually put up on my site.

by the way........ do NOT follow those tips lowranger posted from 1ofaknd

those are really good tips but for more advanced builders and in most cases unnecessary. those will only confuse you and make things VERY DIFFICULT for you as a beginner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts