LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ppl... i have what seems to me, not a very simple job to do. i need to win a trophy for undercarriage of the year, on a car with no frame.
its a 2000 toyota celica. i'm getting as much as i can chrome underneath, from suspension to as much engine shit as i can. basically, i told the owner that the best way to go with the rest because its all plastic moulded shit, is to cover it all, with fibreglass or something so it ends up smooth and we can airbrush it. also, the sub frame and other components look like they are off a swiss cheese press cos they full of wholes and wak shapes.

what i need to know. is there any way to wrap the metal to get a nice chrome finish. and what do i use to get a smoth finish on the rest of the undercarriage so i can airbrush it?

anyone ever done anything like this?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
if you find yourself a good machinst, he can form you a smooth floor to polish and chrome. Hustler 63 has a chrome floor.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Originally posted by OrangeCounty58@Aug 9 2003, 12:16 PM
if you find yourself a good machinst, he can form you a smooth floor to polish and chrome. Hustler 63 has a chrome floor.
those chrome floors werent machined bro...

the easyest way to do chrome floors is to buy new ones, cut out most of the old ones but leave an overlap so you can drill and rivet the new ones in, and then polish the floors and plate them...

rivet those suckers in where no one can see and seal them up... but you gotta drill every hole you plan to rivet before you plate them otherwise when you drill through the chrome it will chip and rust

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by 77monte4pumps+Aug 9 2003, 06:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (77monte4pumps @ Aug 9 2003, 06:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OrangeCounty58@Aug 9 2003, 12:16 PM
those chrome floors werent machined bro...

the easyest way to do chrome floors is to buy new ones, cut out most of the old ones but leave an overlap so you can drill and rivet the new ones in, and then polish the floors and plate them...

rivet those suckers in where no one can see and seal them up... but you gotta drill every hole you plan to rivet before you plate them otherwise when you drill through the chrome it will chip and rust[/b][/quote]
What i think most of the guys that i have seen with chrome floors did was just get replacement floorpans, trim them to fit from the bottom, get them plated, and them glue them to the bottom of the car covering the regular floorpans.

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
with my car that will never be done (so i can share some secrets) i cut out the original floor, bought new floor pans, chromed them after i fit them in. after they got chromed i used my punch and flange tool and tack welded them in and used body panel adhesive seems to be fine

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by showandgo@Aug 10 2003, 12:59 AM
with my car that will never be done (so i can share some secrets) i cut out the original floor, bought new floor pans, chromed them after i fit them in. after they got chromed i used my punch and flange tool and tack welded them in and used body panel adhesive seems to be fine
thats the only way to go. What I would have done is used 1/8" self tapping sheet metal screws set the pan in put all the screw in to keep it tight. taken them out, got the pan plated. then used some fusor structoral metal adhesive, glued the pan in, put all the screws in. left if for 4 hrs, take all the screws out, tack up all the holes for the screws and call it done. those adhesives need to be air tight to harden, otherwise they never fully cure.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Aug 9 2003, 06:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Aug 9 2003, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--showandgo@Aug 10 2003, 12:59 AM
thats the only way to go. What I would have done is used 1/8" self tapping sheet metal screws set the pan in put all the screw in to keep it tight. taken them out, got the pan plated. then used some fusor structoral metal adhesive, glued the pan in, put all the screws in. left if for 4 hrs, take all the screws out, tack up all the holes for the screws and call it done. those adhesives need to be air tight to harden, otherwise they never fully cure.[/b][/quote]
yeah using screws would definately be easyer than rivets, i just had first thought of using rivets from expirience building drag cars with riveted sheetmetal and aluminum panels..

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
too bad they dont make replacement floor pans for 2dr broughams, i would have to cut out a used one and pray for no pinholes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts