LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So now its time to start once again on the bird. My goal last winter was to get the ass in the sky...now accomplished. My next goal is a standing 3. Its an 87 Firebird F body 2pump 10swtch soon to be 3 maybe 4. Here is my plan for reinforcements. Subframe connectors welded on passenger/driver, strut tower brace, reinforced axel (still iffy on the welding w/ the heat?), trailing arm reinforcments. I already reinforced the front mounts by the cylinders. This is about where I am at...anyone thats had experience w/ unibody please let me know what else...With chains it will dogleg very good as is...what else should I put on the shopping list?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an example of the rigidness of just subframe connectors...this is a same year camaro...
This is a picture of 1 jackstand...see how the whole car lifts...
2jackstands...frame still strong...normally my frame would twist under that pressure...
back view

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Very impressive. Almost makes me want to do myne (unibody Continental). But then again. No. Good job tho :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
:confused: dunno homie sounds good to me,if it all works out good luck let me know cause i like to do the same :cool:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
wouldnt a strut tower brace stop you from doing side to side???? or would this help reinforce???? :confused:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought a strut tower brace would reduce flex up front when doing side to side...? :(

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't know what you mean by a strut tower brace but what I did to mine was weld a big washer where the strut is bolted onto the inside of the fender.

My cylinder popped right through before I welded the washer on. Now not a single problem.

I also had to remove my sway bar because when I would raise the car, it would smash right up against my belt and break it in half.

Just my .02

Later
TC

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by titoislaidlow@Oct 15 2003, 10:16 AM
I thought a strut tower brace would reduce flex up front when doing side to side...? :(
yes, that helps out a lot on strut cars. Like TC said, it is best to reinforce the strut mount that bolts to the body, especially on the rear strut mounts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I didnt mount the cylinders through the struts, they are through the front subframe with the washer Idea in the front and back welded in and in the back they come through the subframe in a coilover...(no struts in the back), it works great. Here's the only Fbody Ive seen 3wheel and its rolling...I think w/ enough weight I can stand it up...we'll see by December...anyone else?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some strong trailing arms and example of strut tower brace I am thinking of going w/ as well...

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
They Know how to 3...the only Camaro doing a Standing 3 that I've seen....

Last edited by caliswangin916 at Oct 16 2003, 06:57 PM

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by tcvaldez@Oct 16 2003, 06:20 AM
That looks sweet as hell.

Post some pics of your front and back setup. Very curious on how you did it.

Thanks
TC
Thats a sweet camaro. Looks like he's runn'n either 14's or 16's. TC...Ill get a pic of the setup here soon. The car is 2hrs away in storage. Ill post progress pics up too...wish me luck...hope my shit doesnt split in half... :biggrin: :cheesy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
that red firebird on three is NOT a standing 3 that cay is in winnipeg Mb and i was there the day that pic was takin....
he runs a 2 pump pro hopper setup

·
Registered
25,987 Posts
Originally posted by LO_ROLLA@Oct 16 2003, 10:01 PM
that red firebird on three is NOT a standing 3 that cay is in winnipeg Mb and i was there the day that pic was takin....
he runs a 2 pump pro hopper setup
So explain too us why it is not a standing 3?? :uh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts