LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stay True
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasup everybody, i am in the process of upgrading the battery cables and ground cables so it will hopefully fix my dimming lights and voltage drop problem. I purchased 2 guage battery wires and i have a good understanding of how to replace those cables. I am having a problem locating the ground cable from the engine block to the chasis. Can anyone please help. Is there even one of these cables existant? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Originally posted by regal1981@Jan 31 2010, 09:28 PM~16470935
Wasup everybody, i am in the process of upgrading the battery cables and ground cables so it will hopefully fix my dimming lights and voltage drop problem. I purchased 2 guage battery wires and i have a good understanding of how to replace those cables. I am having a problem locating the ground cable from the engine block to the chasis. Can anyone please help. Is there even one of these cables existant? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
if you don't find one then make one.

·
Stay True
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original battery ground bolts to the a/c bracket, is that ok?? i never had an issue before... its just that everyone says it should go straight to the frame... i dont know what you are talking about with the straps in the back of the engine?? also should i make another ground straight from the frame to the engine block (where at on the engine block??)

·
Registered
873 Posts
i'm assuming your lights are dimming because of a stereo system right? As far as you battery cables go the hot goes to the starter and the ground should be on the front of the engine probably bolted to the alternator bracket. As far as big 3 you wanna upgrade 3 wires under the hood. 1- the little ground wire going from the ground on the battery to the fender. 2- the charging wire from the alternator to the battery. 3- the ground strap from the motor to the body. This wire is usually found on the back side of the heads and is bolted to the fire wall. If you upgrade those 3 and your lights are still dimming then get yourself a bigger alternator and maybe an extra battery. And don't waste your money on a capacitor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by regal1981@Jan 31 2010, 07:28 PM~16470935
real simple make all ur own .the factory straps dont matter at all..heres how i do mine...under hood weld a nut and bolt to frame connect cable from exhaust manifold bolt with good copper lug..than connect ground off battery to bolt also..ok now ur battery and motor are now common..get any size a cable 4 gauge or above and connect to the charge connector of the alt u can still put the stock wires back too no harm there...and finally..ur stereo ground HAS TO MOUNT TO A FRAMe BASEd GROUND NO BODY PANELS OR SEAT BELT BOLTS..drill a hole some where hidden and mount ur ground wire to frame...i have this on all my cars and with the volume pretty high i have 13.9 in the trunk.i have dual batteries and all 1/0 cable my charge wire on my 100 amp alt is 4 gauge..hope this helps if not pm me and i can walk u threw..

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Feb 1 2010, 07:09 AM~16475375
real  simple make all ur own .the factory straps dont matter at all..heres how i do mine...under hood weld a nut and bolt to frame connect cable from exhaust manifold bolt with good copper lug..than connect ground off battery to bolt also..ok now ur battery and motor are now common..get any size a cable 4 gauge or above and connect to the charge connector of the alt u can still put the stock wires back too no harm there...and finally..ur stereo ground HAS TO MOUNT TO A FRAMe BASEd GROUND NO BODY PANELS OR SEAT BELT BOLTS..drill a hole some where hidden and mount ur ground wire to frame...i have this on all my cars and with the volume pretty high i have 13.9 in the trunk.i have dual batteries and all 1/0 cable my charge wire on my 100 amp alt is 4 gauge..hope this helps if not pm me and i can walk u threw..
That's pretty much my set up but w/ a 135 amp. alternator

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Feb 1 2010, 08:09 AM~16475375
real  simple make all ur own .the factory straps dont matter at all..heres how i do mine...under hood weld a nut and bolt to frame connect cable from exhaust manifold bolt with good copper lug..than connect ground off battery to bolt also..ok now ur battery and motor are now common..get any size a cable 4 gauge or above and connect to the charge connector of the alt u can still put the stock wires back too no harm there...and finally..ur stereo ground HAS TO MOUNT TO A FRAMe BASEd GROUND NO BODY PANELS OR SEAT BELT BOLTS..drill a hole some where hidden and mount ur ground wire to frame...i have this on all my cars and with the volume pretty high i have 13.9 in the trunk.i have dual batteries and all 1/0 cable my charge wire on my 100 amp alt is 4 gauge..hope this helps if not pm me and i can walk u threw..
OH I READ THAT WRONG, YEAH I WOULD NOT GO ANY BIGGER THEN 4 GAUGE ON YOUR ALTERNATOR IF YOU HAVE A OLD SCHOOL ENGINE, CAUSE ANY SHAKE WILL BREAK YOUR POS LEAD TO THE ALTERNATOR

·
Registered
563 Posts
shake?..copper lugs with solder pluugs unless the motor falls out it will break connection???..i dont get what ur saying?>>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts