LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get everything in line soon and get a set-up. I may have to start with 2 pumps but not if I get some used or almost new shit. What are the pros and cons toward doing this?

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
pro- you save money (AT FIRST)

con- you spend more money (IN THE LONG RUN)

really, the biggest con is; you don't know how the previous owner treated the parts....

"lightly used" can mean totally different things depending on who you're dealing with......

just buy new....

get pro hopper's 2005 2 pump kit .... ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree. Count on replacing all the dump seals, cylinder seals, redoing all the fittings because it seems like everybody wraps them backwards. However, that will save you some money, but its best to buy new of course. When you buy new, you can get EXACTLY what YOU want. When you buy used, you can only buy what Someone else DOESNT want.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Dont buy used parts unless you like me LOL . If you dont mind building all your stuff and having to rebuild lots of stuff sooner or later.. usually sooner. Ill buy some used pumps for parts, Usually when i take them apart the pump is ok , the tank, Usually the seals are going, or the brushes are about to burn out in the motor and the commutator is not true and flat... soooooo save your money and buy new!!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
save yourself from the headaches and buy new ..i always charge more to install old pumps into a ride cause you never what problems you are gonna have till they are in

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
the first thing you'll end up doing is having to redo the motors.You take them apart and find a big oily mess and say,"screw it,I'll buy new motors" and you get them in and realize the motor seal on the block is letting oil in faster than you can fill you tank.You go to switch all the seals, and think,well,I'll just clean up the rest of it while I'm at it, new o-rings and what not in the gear head.You take it apart and find the gears have worn down the aluminum walls of your heads and they need to be either replaced or taken to the machine shop. You finally get all your parts back and put together, hook up your hoses, and notice the solenoids your hooking up mismatch, and say,oh well, they'll work, and find 5 out of 6 of them want to stick every once in a while when you test them. You finally replace the solenoids and hook it all up and your 10 switch switchbox you bought used only has half the moves on it for some reason, and you notice someone for some unGodly reason tried to wire it themselves with 2 powertool cords and some duct tape.Not at all what your bargained for when he said "prewired switchbox".

You finally spend acouple night re-wiring the switchbox, and start playing with your system and all the dumps start to leak, because the previous owner didnt have any teflon tape and use a really big wrench and a dead blow hammer to make the sans-teflon fitting spot leaking.

You eventually give up, take the setup out, set it aside for scrap parts and go to prohopper.com and proceed to buy a new setup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
^^^^wow after that if I do juice my car I will buy a new kit...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
JUST BUY NEW : :cool:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Me I would never put a used set up on my rides cause on the long run you will end up paying way more I seen that happen already and is not fun one of my friends regrets it ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
my first set-up was used it worked for like a week then it started leaking from the fittings so i changed them out and put new check valves of the course the ones from china big mistake finally got smart and just bought a new set-up.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
dont make me list all the stuff i had to get when buying used...

and the headaches of getting it all right ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
:cool: you can buy used if you dont mind wrenchin i been learning about my pumps im running old school feeners 24 v up and down till no hopping there bound to go out it i do that i savedlike 8oo bucks its cool nothing lasts for ever

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
If you buy used make sure you take apart your pumps to see if there are any internal problems,as well as your cylinders just replace all your seals in them,replumb everything(dumps on pumps),Ive always replaced check valves if your used kit comes with them cheap silver ones......its ok if your on a budget and you want to buy a used kit,just make sure you take along someone that knows there stuff because you dont wanna buy someone else's knightmare.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts