LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of using some flat bar to connect my batteries rather than 0 gauge, figured it would be a lot cheaper, what are the pros and cons????
planning on running 96v, building a hopper. thanks
 

·
GOFUCKURSELF
Joined
·
16,534 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 3 2007, 08:27 PM~8927933
i was thinking of using some flat bar to connect my batteries rather than 0 gauge, figured it would be a lot cheaper, what are the pros and cons????
planning on running 96v, building a hopper. thanks
dont do it..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by MUFASA+Oct 3 2007, 08:34 PM~8927991-->
dont do it..............
[/b]
why?? i value your opinion
<!--QuoteBegin-SERIOUSHYDROS
@Oct 3 2007, 08:37 PM~8928015
I like flat bar. It looks cleaner . Only thing I dont like is its not flexible. and not easy to insulate it (if you insulate it). If you dont insulate it you run the risk of an accidental arc. But if you can set it up right  :thumbsup:
i would be running my batts opposite so i would just have to go straight across rather than diaganoly, i'm not worried about arcing, i have a plastic sleeve for insulation if needed, basically i plan on hopping and running 96v, i dont want to compromise current flow or heat melting the battery posts
 

·
GOFUCKURSELF
Joined
·
16,534 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 3 2007, 08:41 PM~8928042
why?? i value your opinion

i would be running my batts opposite so i would just have to go straight across rather than diaganoly, i'm not worried about arcing, i have a plastic sleeve for insulation if needed, basically i plan on hopping and running 96v, i dont want to compromise current flow or heat melting the battery posts
its been said that copper is way more conductive than steel................i read it somewhere with percentages and the copper was significantly higher in conductivity vs steel
 

·
More posts than Cornbread
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 3 2007, 10:41 PM~8928042
why?? i value your opinion

i would be running my batts opposite so i would just have to go straight across rather than diaganoly, i'm not worried about arcing, i have a plastic sleeve for insulation if needed, basically i plan on hopping and running 96v, i dont want to compromise current flow or heat melting the battery posts

If they have a plastic sleave on them, then that would probably work, and look nice too.

I run my batts opposite too, I made cables the exact length from batt to batt so they would be straight accross.

If you decide to do it, post pics up, Id like to see it, maybe Ill change mine ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MUFASA@Oct 3 2007, 08:45 PM~8928067
its been said that copper is way more conductive than steel................i read it somewhere with percentages and the copper was significantly higher in conductivity vs steel
thats what i want to know, if thats true i'm running wire, thats basiclly exactly what i wanted to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
whata bout sum flat copper bar ive seen a couple on here done that way would be better then steel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by jtheshowstoppper@Oct 3 2007, 09:12 PM~8928208
isnt there copper flat bar?
probably, but that would cost a grip i'm sure, crackheads be steeling copper like its ..................well........crack!!!
 

·
GOFUCKURSELF
Joined
·
16,534 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 3 2007, 09:14 PM~8928221
probably, but that would cost a grip i'm sure, crackheads be steeling copper like its ..................well........crack!!!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
The strand wire will conduct better then flat bar. Electricity does not flow through the cable it actually runs around the out side of the strands, that is why the more strands the better. Higher quality stereo cables use very fine strands to make up the corect size rather then one big fat wire.

However flat bar will work if that is the look you are going after. Copper would be a great choice and very expensive.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts




there is nothing wrong with using copper flatt bar. 1/4x1.5. i did all sixteen of these batterys for around a bill. and thats pretty cheap compared to welding wire

but it is a fact that it doesnt conduct as well as welding cable. the more strands the cable has the better it will conduct. so for a hopper i always use welding cable. but for a clean street setup copper is just fine.

you can order copper from McMASTER-CAR (404)346-7000
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Kelo@Oct 4 2007, 12:24 AM~8929350
The strand wire will conduct better then flat bar.  Electricity does not flow through the cable it actually runs around the out side of the strands, that is why the more strands the better.  Higher quality stereo cables use very fine strands to make up the corect size rather then one big fat wire. 

However flat bar will work if that is the look you are going after.  Copper would be a great choice and very expensive.
true about the electricity flowing on the out side of the strands, thats why welding cable is better than battery cable.


but 6 foot of high quality copper bar 1/4x1.5 is only around $30 for 6 feet. thats cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by classic customs@Oct 4 2007, 06:23 AM~8929657

there is nothing wrong with using copper flatt bar.  1/4x1.5.  i did all sixteen of these batterys for around a bill. and thats pretty cheap compared to welding wire 

but it is a fact that it doesnt conduct as well as welding cable.  the more strands the cable has the better it will conduct.  so for a hopper i always use welding cable.  but for a clean street setup copper is just fine.

you can order copper from McMASTER-CAR (404)346-7000
HEY I STILL GOT THEM COPPER BARS TOO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Kelo@Oct 4 2007, 12:24 AM~8929350
The strand wire will conduct better then flat bar.  Electricity does not flow through the cable it actually runs around the out side of the strands, that is why the more strands the better.  Higher quality stereo cables use very fine strands to make up the corect size rather then one big fat wire. 

However flat bar will work if that is the look you are going after.  Copper would be a great choice and very expensive.
ok, sounds like you know a bit about electricity, now that i know the facts i will be using welding cable, so now with what you said what would i be better off using, 0 gauge with a fine strand wire or 0 gauge with a thicker strand wire???? i think they call it 1 ot, all i know is apparently the thicker strand wire wont get as hot as the finer strand, and i will be running 96v, and i dont want any wires melting. keep in ind i want to get the very most out of my batteries because i am building a hopper.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Oct 4 2007, 05:26 AM~8929804
HEY I STILL GOT THEM COPPER BARS TOO
:cool: i had forgot about sending you some. have you tryed to polish one of them, they look almost gold :biggrin: you gotta clear them to last though
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top