LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to go for the deepest and shinest black. I want to acheive more than black. Something that is a little more vibrant yet is the elegant black. Here is my plan, someone plz correct me if I'm wrong

Mid wet coat of KP-21 Epoxy Primer

2-3 coats of KO-SEAL 2 then block sand with 300

Coat KO-SEAL again 1-2, wet sand at 600

base coat--------???

top caot-------????

Clear coat.

The reason I picked black is because my interior's theme is matched with red and white along with my engine intake manifold is painted red. I dont want to go back red. So someone hit me up on what they would think would be a good combo

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
there primers and sealers are a bit pricey. can go other routes. if you have the money cool, but other topics. can use any good paint brand of epoxy and any sealer from a good paint brand.

black is black. what is going to make it look wet and shiny is your clear coat. lots of good blacks, dupont's chromabase black is good. shermin williams Genesis (one stage).

as far as what base/top coat. up to you, whatever you like. you have too many colors going on in your car. if your engine is red, and your car is black. going to look really awful. paint the car red if you have a red/white interior.might want to change the interior and spray the engine compartment if you are set on black

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the engine bay trunk door jambs will be painted black. I plan on going with black exterior with red accent... the white is only my dash... I vinyl died my dash white... all plastic pieces have been sanded smooth primered and painted red... to much work to change that out... black with red accent is a good color. like black with red neon is a good match so the only white part is my dash... which can be redied black is needed...

so if I was to go for quility at an affordable price what band do you recommend?

·
Registered
802 Posts
When picking a black, make sure it is a quality brand. If the black does not have enough pigment it will fade quickly. Also, check to see what colors are in the black. Reds and blues used in black help to make a richer color and sometimes yellows added to black can give it a brown look, especially when it fades a little.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Adding some depth to it by doing 2-3 coats then wetsanding after a few days and doing 3-4 more coats of base is good .
Same with clear

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
if you want it at an affordable price, can go with a one stage. some people on here even say they clear over it. think a nice one stage with a good painter and great body work cant be beat. well unless you opt to with some real pricey paint. traditional is right, if you dont get a good brand paint, you tend to get what you pay for. also youll see on some paints a yellow tint after its cleared, makes a car look brownish.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
chroma base black, as nice as black can look. look at the wheel wells and firewall
G's and Mario's Auto Works

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
who sells a chrome base black? I know HOK sells Jet black. I decided I was going to go with black base with jet black top coat with a floklear.... the price on everything I have listed is like 800

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan to cut and buff after cleared... so the orange peal is takin care of... and I'm not a fan of one stage... I 've heard bad rumors...

·
Registered
180 Posts
with floklear there shouldnt be no orange peel . Not saying you cant buff it , but yeah ..
Orange County meant thats what the paint line is called - DuPont ChromaBase

If youre going for vibrant and a little more than black , do a pearl intercoat or two over top of the black before clearing .
Not much more
Maybe Cobalt blue or a kandy burgandy - something dark so car looks completely black until in the right light then only the body lines will look blueish or reddish

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
never seen or had any problems with one stage.
as far as orange peel goes, lots of reasons for that (paint not reduced to proper viscosity, pressure not set correctly, spray gun distance/speed, nozzle size, etc) just because you use a certain brand, doesnt mean you wont get any orange peel.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 4 2005, 10:15 PM~3753495
Flo Klear is a thinned clear and is supposed to level out as a final coat to eliminate wetsanding and cutting .

the clear i use tends to need very little wetsanding and cutting. depending on the cost, no big deal.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
i would look into spraying extra basecoat and color sanding it to flatten it before clearing.this process all depends totally on the material you use. that will be the most helpful thing you can do with black

·
Registered
180 Posts
yup what I said too .
Anyways go with BC25 base and a Klear Kandy over top few coats
Burgandy , Brandywine , Wild Cherry over black base bc25 , then clear

·
Registered
3 Posts
HoK is great but bc 25 is not a good black ppg or dupont dont use house of kolor for anything but airbrush. It has almost a brown tint when compaired to others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts