LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Using PTFE Tape & Aligning Fittings

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  M-827 
#1 ·
Hello :cheesy: !

Presumably you all use PTFE tape when assembling your air fittings. If so, how many wraps around the threads do you do before you screw the fitting on? If not, what do you use?

Also, how do you ensure that all your valves and elbow joints are pointing in the right direction when the correct tightness is achieved on the fittings? Do the nuts on the fittings turn independently of the fitting so that you can hold them in position as you tighten them up?

:)

#2 ·
dont use tape, it's a bad idea..

use loctite PST liquid teflon pipe dope, it's the best shit out!

as far as fittings, my 90° Prestomatic elbows are of the swiveling type.

but for regular pipe fittings, just tighten them until they feel tight, and then tighten more to get everything lined up..

kinda sucks, because sometimes that means it has to be REALLY tight!

never ever ever turn a fitting backwards to line it up,
even if it is "just a touch"

#3 ·
Thanks 216RIDER :cheesy: .

I haven't heard of Loctite PST. I'll have a look for some over here.

Okay, good advice on the tightening. I just don't want to end up with things pointing in the wrong direction!

:cool:

#5 ·
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 13 2003, 05:19 PM
regular pipe dope would work also if you cant find the loctite stuff
Okay, thanks :cheesy: .

#10 ·
I haven't felt well enough yet to work my way through that list of sick sites you sent me :0 .

#12 ·
i used teflone tape just goytta make sure you dont put it too far in to break off and get introduced into the airline, same with dope but I use teflon tape and works for me

#13 ·
The first time that we were testing some 3/8" brass Parker diaphragm valves (memories) back in 1997, some Teflon tape broke off into the system and then into the valve.

We were playing with the rear and amazed at how fast it responded (not compared to today’s setups) but couldn’t figure out why one corner would settle about an inch lower than the other when locked up and make a funny kazoo sound...

Found out it was Teflon tape stuck in the valve... :biggrin:

#14 ·
Teflon tape is as safe to use as pipe dope. You know why they call it pipe dope? 'Cause any dope can put it on correctly. :) As far as teflon goes, just make sure you apply it in the direction of the thread and skip the first couple of threads to avoid the "break-offs."

(And that pipe dope joke wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just something I heard from a piper once. Thought it was fitting for this particular thread. :) If I offended anyone, I apologize.)

#15 ·
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS@Nov 14 2003, 03:35 PM
Teflon tape is as safe to use as pipe dope. You know why they call it pipe dope? 'Cause any dope can put it on correctly. :) As far as teflon goes, just make sure you apply it in the direction of the thread and skip the first couple of threads to avoid the "break-offs."

(And that pipe dope joke wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just something I heard from a piper once. Thought it was fitting for this particular thread. :) If I offended anyone, I apologize.)
I took offense to it

JK :biggrin:

#16 ·
Originally posted by 1lorodeo+Nov 14 2003, 10:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1lorodeo @ Nov 14 2003, 10:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS@Nov 14 2003, 03:35 PM
Teflon tape is as safe to use as pipe dope.  You know why they call it pipe dope?  'Cause any dope can put it on correctly.  :)  As far as teflon goes, just make sure you apply it in the direction of the thread and skip the first couple of threads to avoid the "break-offs."

(And that pipe dope joke wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just something I heard from a piper once.  Thought it was fitting for this particular thread.  :)  If I offended anyone, I apologize.)
I took offense to it

JK :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.