LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my homie are having a disagreement i recently got a frame for my regal that i want to fully wrap and candy out ok here's the problem i have a bunch of 1/4" sheet 18x24 he says we should cut strips out and weld them to the outer part of the frame i want to cut one long sheet and do the outer part and use the strips for the inside and top and bottom because i dont think putting the strips on the outside of the frame will be strong enough what do u guys think (please help before i throw this fool outta my yard)

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Cutting individual pieces isn't a bad thing. It makes it stronger in every place you weld it. All the frames done by me and others I know do them this way. Not small pieces all over the frame or anything. ;) Oh yeah PLUG WELDING helps. :0

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright kool homies thanks guys u just saved my homie an ASS WHOOPING dammit now i have to buy the beer!

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by timdog57@Aug 6 2005, 01:19 AM~3550355
Cutting individual pieces isn't a bad thing.  It makes it stronger in every place you weld it.  All the frames done by me and others I know do them this way.  Not small pieces all over the frame or anything.  ;)  Oh yeah PLUG WELDING helps. :0
plug welds...

I've had alot of people tell me theyre worthless on frame wraps :uh:

glad to see you think theyre worthwhile, so do I

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 6 2005, 04:55 AM~3551527
plug welds...

I've had alot of people tell me theyre worthless on frame wraps  :uh:

When I used to weld on skid steers I often welded up outriggers too. The outriggers were all stitched welded up and down the sides with 10 - 1 inch plug welds holding the braces in place....Plugs are VERY effective

·
Registered
207 Posts
when you reinforce, make sure to brace the whole frame so you dont warp it,

i have also done some welding on heavy equiptment and there are some spots on solid sheets you dont weld. all depends on the situation

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
plug weld the plates first , then weld them to the frame. much stronger. Yah when you add a plate to the frame it strengthens that area , but it weakenes the areas without plates, it kinda snowballs.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 6 2005, 06:55 AM~3551527
plug welds...

I've had alot of people tell me theyre worthless on frame wraps  :uh:

:thumbsup:

It makes the frame a more solid structure. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts