LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a pair of Sony 6x9 speakers that I want to connect up to test my installation. I don't know much about car audio, so here's my question:

Which terminal is positive and which is negative (there is one small and one large terminal for spade connectors)? The speakers aren't marked + & - .

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 4 2003, 06:49 PM

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's okay, I've found out now!

It amazed me how difficult it was for me to find such a basic piece of information (I'm a total novice to car audio - but we all have to start somewhere, don't we?).

I searched through dozens of guides, spec sheets, wiring diagrams, articles and components listings and found nothing.

Then I tried an image search for speaker connections on Google and found one picture that showed the black terminal smaller than the red one. Problem solved. Earth: small, positive: large.

:angry: :)

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 5 2003, 10:01 PM

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I don't think it matters when installing an aftermarket 6x9 to the factory wires. It does matter if it was going to an amp though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Easiest way to do it is to take a 9v battery. Connect the leads from the speaker to the positive and negative terminals fo the battery momentarily. If the speaker cone moves forward, the terminal that is connected o the + lead of the battery is positive. Otherwise it is the neagtive. Simple.....

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
if you have one speaker wired correctly, and the other is reversed, you will get super shitty sound quality

if thats the effect youre after, then by all means, just start hooking wires together..

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Nov 4 2003, 08:07 PM
umm i assumed that when hooking speakers up that it did not matter what was + and - for spreaker wire
LoL i think you are kidding right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts