LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

very high idle?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MR LAC 95 
#1 ·
whenever my car is really warmed up and stuff and i put it in park it revs REALLY fuckin high.....its weird though cause it only happens after say i have drivin my car for a while and its really warmed up...and if i stop at a light or anything its normal, but as soon as i put it in park my engine sounds like its gonna blow up...anyone know why its doing this???? ohh ya its a 81 cutlass.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
ya i got the 231 v6 as well....ya in the mornin mine kinda does the same but i just rev it up and that loud kinda higher rev goes down and it starts sounded like normal.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by M-827@Nov 20 2003, 03:46 PM
The fact that it does it in park may be because there is no load on the engine from the transmission. When you stop at lights, I presume you leave it in Drive. If this is the case, the engine is working against the torque convertor which will slow it down a bit.

Have you had anything done to the car recently that my have disturbed something under the bonnet? If your car has engine management it could be an electrical fault like a faulty sensor. Or it could be something as simple as the accelerator cable sticking - especially if it is worn and the inner has frayed and is binding on the outer.
na i havent done anything to my car lately....well actually i guess about a few days before this happen (might have been a little longer) i did spray some carb cleaner...could that maybe have done it? thanks alot for everyones input and i think im probaby gonna look into rebuilding the carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.