LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can shed some light on my problem.

I have a 550 that seemed to have seized up. so I sent it in to viair for warrenty. upon arrival they state they tested it and found no problems with it so they charged me $38 and sent it back. I hooked everthing back up and fired it up. seems to pump up fine, got my tank up to around 150psi and the pressure switch shut it off. So I hit a couple switches to trigger it to turn back on. but when it was supposed to turn on it blew the 30 amp fuse for it.

from the battery I have a 60amp fuse leading 4 gauge to the trunk. in the truck it goes to a dist. block with 2 30 amp fuses 1 to the compressor and 1 to my amp. the amp is not hooked up currently.

I have checked all wiring for shorts. I have replaced the solenoid and relay. I have bypassed the pressure switch to a manual switch...

any ideas??¿¿

It seems like it has to be something inside the compressor, but since Viair does not want to fix it I have to determine what could be causing it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
we had the exact same problem with the 400... so we bought another one, and now we still have the same problem... the new one works fine. but we sat there for about 30 mins tryin to figure it out, before we got the bright idea to hit the pressure switch, and on it came. so we bought a new pressure switch, but it still does it. no clue

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sounds to me like your check valve may not be working right....if its allowing pressure to flow back against the piston in the compressor then when it trys to start again it will cause it to lock and draw ALOT of amperage and blow your fuses

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(dropped_duallys)

what would be the best way to test the check valve?

I have 130 psi in the tank currently it goes from the tank to my water filter to the steel hose that hangs off of the compressor. The check valve is in that steel hose. If I pull up on the blow off valve on top of the compressor head I do not hear any air leaking.....but I'm not sure if thatv would answer my question

·
Registered
840 Posts
take the steel leader that comes with the compressor loose (from the outside connection not the head, if you take it off he head it will void your warranty) and see if you can blow back through the hose towards the compressor, you shouldnt be able too. the check valves that come with those compressors suck...id run an inline check valve the spring loaded type, at the connection to where your line goes into the tank if it were me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(dropped_duallys)

on those compressors is there supposed to be pressure in the steel leader, because if I pump my tank up tp 150... set all the air out of the tank the steel leader still has full pressure in it..

Is this my problem?¿

·
Registered
840 Posts
The check valve on the 550 is in the end of the steel leader hose the end that is away from the compressor, there will be some pressure that is built up that has not passed through the check valve yet after it shuts off. Like i say if you can blow backwards through that line (towards the head of the compressor) then the check valve isnt working......you can also get your tank up to full pressure and pull the pop off valve on top of the compressor if it just lets out a quick burst of air....the check is working.....if it lets out a continious stream of air the check isnt working.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allright. I checked the check valve and I cant blow through it, and the blowoff valve only lets out a little burst of air when the tank is full.

now when I pump the tank up as high as I need then shut off the compressor it wont turn back on, it just pulls alot of amps untill power is removed from it.... but if I pull the blow off valve to release that little bit of air in the line.....it will pump up untill the next time it shuts off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually for trouble shooting I have been manually controlling the compressor. It dosn't matter if I am at 125 130 140 145 it just wont start-up unless I release the pressure from the leader hose...

·
Registered
558 Posts
we refrain from using the 550's now at the shop, we are like 0/3 with them, nothing but problems, i dunno if its the design but we rather do 2 450c's instead, they seem to work the best :biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
the 550 isnt a seal unit so that makes it crap.

you could have a bad pressure switch. my comp had the same problem . changed the psi switch it all went away.

the hose on the comp could be on wrong or it just went bad.if it went bad juse go buy a 2 dolla check valve and install it between comp and hose .

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by lowglow@Nov 15 2003, 05:50 PM
actually for trouble shooting I have been manually controlling the compressor. It dosn't matter if I am at 125 130 140 145 it just wont start-up unless I release the pressure from the leader hose...
just a guess, but r u trying to kick compressor in.. for to high a tank preasure??

all compressors not just 12V ..need to kick in at a preasure they can handle..when first run-up..

the preasure switch should kick-in at 110psi..so try compressor when tank preasure = 100psi

Just a guess..

good luck anyway.. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you keep poping fuses try a circuit braker. Fuses tend to get hot and weaken when running the larger compressors. The circuit breaker's seem to hold up better. You should double check the ground and oil the cylinder head as well. Have the car running when you power the compressor too they need all the power they can get! Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
simple fix dude, the compressor is losing to many amps in the 4 gauge wire, try running a much bigger cable and that will keep the power up to the comp! we whave had the same problem a few times on big comps

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Issue seems to be fixed now...... added a 1 farad cap and all is well. Thanks for the help

Last edited by lowglow at Dec 29 2003, 12:06 PM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts