LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure which one to get... im going to be running a 12gallon tank (realized i only wanna do Front & Back) and strap either 2 480's to it or 2 550's to it...

weighing in the amount of noise both produce while operating, fill times (i think im gonna run it at 165psi), and hopefully experience, which ones are the best for me...

they basically have the same amp draw, and not that far apart in price, only difference i see is the cfm (where the 550 takes the upper hand), but its something weird about the 550 that kinda confuses me on its performance...just curious of which one would some of you choose if you had to make the choice...

so just to overview, im aiming at the least amount of noise between the two and the quicker fill time running 2 of either on 1 12gallon tank...

thanks in advance...

-qs

·
Registered
260 Posts
GO WITH 480'S THE 550'S ARE GARBAGE. THE 480'S DO THE SAMETHING JUST A LIL SMALLER.. AND CHEAPER. WE SELL THEM FOR $235 A PIECE, AND WILL SHIP.
KONNECTED KONCEPTS 909 483 0056

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by KONNECTEDKONCEPTS@Sep 6 2005, 09:13 PM~3766367
GO WITH 480'S THE 550'S ARE GARBAGE. THE 480'S DO THE SAMETHING JUST A LIL SMALLER.. AND CHEAPER. WE SELL THEM FOR $235 A PIECE, AND WILL SHIP.
The 480 work great.....200 psi rated as well.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by KONNECTEDKONCEPTS@Sep 7 2005, 12:13 AM~3766367
$235 shipped???

i figured something was up with the 550's, just by reading its "capabilities" and attributes, it just sounded like it wasnt a real need to create the 550, and the way to get you to buy it was to give it a high cfm output (compared to other electrics) when it only does that output at a low psi, which you wont run your system at...

just looking for a couple more heads to drop their opinions on the subject...

-qs

·
Registered
856 Posts
i have the 550. its in my trunk. their not "sealed" thats one down fall. i have had no problems with it, and am happy with its performance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
$235 PLUS 10 EACH FOR SHIPPING.. KONNECTED KONCEPTS 909 483 0056

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Both compressors are awesome. The major difference is that the 500 series are only rated 150 psi., where the 480's are rated to 200 psi. I have done a truck with (1) 12 gallon tank filled by (2) 550's and it kicks tail. The other thing is that right now 480 compressors are hard to come by because they were recalled and are on national backorder. The reason I know that is because we are an authorized dealer for Viair compressors.

KP Components Inc.
www.kpcomponets.com

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shit man, its kinda up in the air right now (no pun intended)...

i plan on running my system at about 165psi, so i dont think the 550c is gonna cut it for me...

what about noise...

konnected koncepts, how loud are those 480's...

and gameover & yodawagon, about how loud are those 550's?

where would be the best place to mount them by the way???

i kinda wanted EVERYTHING under the truck (in some type of casing to protect against the wheather and protect against thieves as well), and place a yellow top optima under the hood to supply power to both compressors and other lil things that require juice that has something to do with the air ride set-up...

if the 550's produce less noise then the 480's then im going with the 550's, if its the same amount or 480's are more quiet then 480's are gonna be filling the 12 gallon...

so 2 questions:

is it a good idea to do a body drop on the bed, and hide EVERYTHING under the truck in sometype of protective covering/casing?

are the 480's more silent then the 550's or vice versa?

thanks for the replies everyone...

-qs

·
Registered
344 Posts
for like 300.00 run scuba never wait on fill time, then just buy one comp for 911'z
i got a 380 ran it to 225 daily b4 scuba

·
Registered
856 Posts
if your body dropping the bed, just build a drawer under the bed and put it all in there. 550s dont like the elements.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by yodawagon@Sep 7 2005, 10:12 PM~3772864
if your body dropping the bed, just build a drawer under the bed and put it all in there. 550s dont like the elements.
yeah, there not sealed (who thought that was a good idea??? i dunno)...
that "drawer" idea is pretty cool, i guess it'll make it easy if i need to change something or check for leaks... i plan on putting in mufflers to reduce the psst sound as well so that sounds like a good plan...im gonna run 4 smc 1/2" valves being that FB is my target (i only want 2 switches)...

im gonna go with the 480's because they're sealed and i bet they're not as loud...being that the compressors are gonna be under the truck instead of in a trunk, i think i need something thats not too hateful of the natural elements...

thanks everyone for your help...

being that we're active in this thread, I GOT ANOTHER QUESTION, can i get away with just a pan-hard bar 4-link(if i remember correctly, thats what they're called) or do i need a triangulated 4link... i remember reading that the triangulated 4link is good because it lets you get nice side to side motion and the pan hard bar 4link doesnt, but with the triangulated 4-link, i would have to relocate my gas tank....being that im not gonna be doing side to side, is the panhard bar 4-link my better option (and i believe i wont need to relocate my gas tank as well)???

the ride is a 2001 dodge ram 1500 single cab shortbed RWD

i'm gonna use those insane 13" bags in the rear...

if you guys recommend another bag/link system for the rear, by all means speak up (im not up to date on the cantilevel systems)... im not trying to lay frame (just about as low as a stock civic), and i would like to get almost as high as i am now with the dodge stock suspension...

and will i need shocks in the rear? if so, recommend something... my budget is kinda high on this one...being that this is my only vehicle, i want it done right... im willing to spend up to $850 on a cantilevel or anytype of rear set up which includes bags, bag brackets, 4-link, and shocks...

its been a while since i've been deep into this, caraudio kinda won me over because it was more affordable at the time, but now i got cushion so, time for the next step...

-qs

·
Registered
856 Posts
if you only run 4 valves for only front and back, you will have some wicked sloppy turning going on. the air will transfer from side to side as you turn. you could use check valves. i would recomend getting 8 valves, two switches will get boring fast.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
ya valves arent too expensive just run 8, once you start hitting switches with just FB youll want more.
not sure but didnt the 550s have a problems with fires?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
8 valves will stop the air transfer from side to side???

this is aggrivating, i cant find my setup list, in 2004 or 2003, i had made an entire list of what i wanted, it was one of those 4 months to make type of lists weighing in speed, fill time, amp draw, etc.... so now i gotta start from scratch....

well if i do 8valves im definitly putting 4 switches in the dash (FBSS)...

SMC's are still good right??

i was gonna use one of those air management systems to keep a certain psi in the bags for my drive height so i wouldnt need 8 switches (4 more switches for individual corners)...

anybody have any input on the 4-link?

-qs

·
Registered
856 Posts
just some friendly advice, if you run 8 valves, you might as well get a switch box. 4 switches isnt much better then 2. switch boxes arent too expensive, and their nice cause i know youll want to play with it when your outside of the car. ive had smcs in my car for 2 years with out any problems. ive also heard good things about parkers.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by yodawagon@Sep 8 2005, 02:42 PM~3776313
just some friendly advice, if you run 8 valves, you might as well get a switch box. 4 switches isnt much better then 2. switch boxes arent too expensive, and their nice cause i know youll want to play with it when your outside of the car. ive had smcs in my car for 2 years with out any problems. ive also heard good things about parkers.
im not getting a switch box, thats just gonna cause problems...im trying to protect myself from myself (if that makes since)...

if i get a switchbox, nothing that is suppose to be done will get done, becuase everytime my boss, girlfriend, etc wonder were i'm at, im either gonna be in the parking lot, on the way to the parking lot, or trying to figure a way to get out of what im doing to get to the parking lot... i would litterally run about 22 gallons of air, and stand outside all day hitting switches...

then imma end up getting high and trying to 3-wheel an unwrapped truck on 20's at about 15 miles an hour...

4 switches is plenty, and they're gonna be in the dash...

when my homeboy had his cuttie, thats ALL we did at school... we would leave class, go to his car, and hit switches constantly...

-qs

·
Registered
856 Posts
i was looking at your car domain site, i dont think you can bag it like that.the wheels might not fit. also is it a 4x4?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by yodawagon@Sep 8 2005, 10:10 PM~3779248
i was looking at your car domain site, i dont think you can bag it like that.the wheels might not fit. also is it a 4x4?
nah, its RWD...

my tires balloon out and gives the look that the rim itself is wider then god's middle finger...

you can see it pretty good here... look at the back tire and how far the tire sticks out pass the rim... or look at the bottom of the rim on the front tire and see how it ballons out...

here is a cleaner shot of how wide the tire is from the fender, its actually thinner then this i just didnt get right on top of the truck to take the pic...

the only thing im a lil worried about is that i wont have much room for error when lowering the front, i gotta make sure the front tires are str8...
the rear will drop now with out an issue, the front is the problem...

i have a lip in the finder in the front and rear... cutting the lip and buying "skinnys" tires, will allow me to drop clean... the way dodges are and the brackets made for them, the front will have a slight chamber to allow the wheels to tuck and by eliminating the ballooned tire issue and the lip underneath, i'll lay out nice... remember, im not trying to lay frame, i wanna get about as low as a stock civic when dumped...

-qs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts