LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, first off thanx to the guys who helped me out with my last question, especially 1ofakind.

Now to todays business,
I've been preparing a model that Im hoping to do for my dad who is a MAJOR VW Bug enthusiast. So I found an old model of an 80's Custom Bug, it's pink on the box with lamish 80s graphics. ANYWAYS, right now this car is a hard top stock body car, what it needs to become is a droptop widebody car.

The first issue will be the roof, or rather, how to get rid of it. Since he owns a 'vert ('67 'vert bug) I can just go and look at the roofline, so knowing where to cut is simple. But what I need to know is, how to cut and with what. After that, I'll move on to the fenders.

The Fenders: His fenders are custom hand laid fibreglass, and they are wide as hell, housing 13 inch wide cheater slicks, so naturally I need to hook up this would be replica of his ride just the same, in order for that to work, I'll need wide fenders just like his. I thonk this would be a bit to try and hang on a chunk of bondo to the side of the fender, but lucky for me, this model comes with the old skool type of fender flare with just the flange coming off the edge of a fender (I'll try to get pics but I think anyones whos been around will know what I mean) So it becomes the perfect platform to lay some kind of body filler ontop of to creat a wide flowing fender. Here I need to know what kind of filler to use, how to get it to adhere to the plastic, and if any special primer should be used over that particular section.

There are other things that will need to be done such as lowering a custom wide tires, but to lower it I'll need to first assemble the chassis, and wide tires I may already have hooked up. But I'll get to that later.

Thanks again guys I've been reading this forum and there is some great information here, but I just haven't seen any bondo type work or posts about it?

BTW: I was juts going to use a spray can to paint this, I don't have your fancy airbrush systems, and my brushed paint jobs, look exactly that, brushed...

Last edited by Bagged_Conti at Dec 22 2003, 12:56 PM

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
I think i can help you out once again on this one :biggrin:

Convertable- ok, if you are planning on have a straigh cut across the windshield, i would suggest getting one of those hobby saws and marking a straight line. A knife or thread will probably leave you with a crooked line.

Fenders- I'm not a pro at major body work like this, but i would use regular bondo, and scuff up the area with like some 220 grit. You may want to use some thin styrene in there too, just to get the contour right. Then afterwards knock down the high spots with a file and shape it up. It may take lots of layers to get everything nice and even(as is with any filler work, it shrinks as it cures)

btw, i almost exclusively use cans for my paintjobs, you can get just as good of a finish as with an airbrush

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
For cutting, Id get one of those Testors hobby knife sets at Walmart, I just picked one up, comes with 3 different sized knives. Or, you can do it the faster way, with a Dremel. But, you will need to do more sanding then normal to clean up the cut. And for the body mods, Bondo should work, like 1ofakind said, use some small styrene or somethin for ur basic shape. Or you can plop a big huge glob on the side, let it dry for a good while, then cut it and sorta sculpt it and sand, a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
To do the vert i would just pick up the vert version of the kit you have.. Its pretty common and can be had on ebay for under 10 bucks..
Well depending on how wide the fenders need to be and how they are shaped on the real car theres a few different ways to go about doig them.. If on the real car they just have like fatty flares molded on I would do what 1ofakind said to do.. But if there just like stock type fenders but alot wider, What i would do is cut the stock fenders down the middle and add a section of sheet stock to the desired width..By this i mean cut from the top of fender down to the bottom.. What you will have to do for this is get some somewhat thing plastic stock and use fast dry super glue and do a little at a time to get the curve right then follow up with some filler to get perfect.. Hope that helps ya out some.. If ya need more explanation or anymore help just ask.. Later Rick S

·
Registered
312 Posts
If the fenders look like hot rod fenders, I can hook you up with a pair of 32 ford fenders, non painted.. if u want em ill give them to you... just PM me.. ;)

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by phatras@Dec 22 2003, 03:36 PM
To do the vert i would just pick up the vert version of the kit you have.. Its pretty common and can be had on ebay for under 10 bucks..
Well depending on how wide the fenders need to be and how they are shaped on the real car theres a few different ways to go about doig them.. If on the real car they just have like fatty flares molded on I would do what 1ofakind said to do.. But if there just like stock type fenders but alot wider, What i would do is cut the stock fenders down the middle and add a section of sheet stock to the desired width..By this i mean cut from the top of fender down to the bottom.. What you will have to do for this is get some somewhat thing plastic stock and use fast dry super glue and do a little at a time to get the curve right then follow up with some filler to get perfect.. Hope that helps ya out some.. If ya need more explanation or anymore help just ask.. Later Rick S
I agree with this fella. The extra kit might come in handy too if you screw up the fenders the first time. I think stretching the fenders will be easier because that way you can keep the original opening. But instead of sweating over making the curve, I think you should use a few strips of plastic that are thicker than the fender plastic. Once you glue it together, you can sand the oversized sections down to fit the curve and you can leave it a little thicker on the inside of the fender for strength because you can't see it with the tire in way. Does that sound right? Sort of hard to explain things on "paper"

K. Diaz

Last edited by BigPoppa at Dec 22 2003, 05:03 PM

·
Registered
276 Posts
MAD's widened some fenders for me on my real bugs back in the day. he took and cut them down the center and then took another set and cut a strip out of the center and welded in there.
That's how the true rodder guys do their work, they leave the cars as much metal as they possibly can.

I'm sure you could also use this method for what you're doing here as well.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Grabbing an extra set of fender would prob be a good idea.. I personally would hit ebay and grab the vert model.. heres a few for ya
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8&category=2581
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=2581 ONe with a bonus kit..lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=2583
With the vert model it will make the vert part done for ya and then you will also have all the spare parts ya might need and you can do the fenders up good..
I forgot to answer on the cutting part before.. I would hit the hobby shop and grab an exacto razor saw.. they make different saws.. Like rough to fine cuts.. Grab a fine cut and cut away.. Good luck and keep us posted on it all.. Later Rick S

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres the actual model Im starting with, as you can see the rear fenders have the old skool flares, so I think 1ofakind, has got it right for this situation. As far as the cutting goes, I have a few scrap models (Like I said, not much patience in the past) That I'll practice cutting on. However, how hard would it be to buy the 'vert model cut the flared fenders off the "Street" machine" and put them on the vert. I also want the street machine wheels (Porsche Fuchs, just like my dads) and the seats, I cant remember what they are, but they are the same. I'll have to get you guys a pic of his car when Im finished so you can tell me how far off I am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts