LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 51 Buick Roadmaster and Im working on restoring it. Any suggestions on the best way to do it? I have to convert to 12V before, but after that, Im on to the suspension. I was thinking welding a piece of channel to the frame and mounting the rear bags over the axle with 1 leaf spring and blocks. I'm also thinking about notching the rear crossmember and cutting the rear floor to give the drive shaft clearance. I'm lost on the front though. I just want basic FB, but with that I should be able to drop it on the pavement. Any better ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a neat article on webrodder.com where this guy is building a 51' Buick. He used a 4 link parallel bar set-up from air ride technologies that mounts up pretty nicely. He is using the shockwaves though. They are overpriced to me. The only thing I would change to that set-up is fabricating mounts to bolt a set of 2600's right on top of the axle instead of the shock waves. The front end, that is a completely different monster. I'll have my work cut out for me there. I have never messed with airbags on a car before, only on diesel trucks so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 50 Buick myself. I plan on baggin it when i can make room for it over at the shop i work at. I don't know for sure about the 51s but i would assume its the same as mine. They don't use leaf springs in the back, its setup up with trailing arms and a panhard, kinda like a 60s Chevy pickup. So pretty much all you have to do is pull out the coil springs, make bag mounts, and put the bags in their place. As for the front, I saw a 51 that was clipped with a 78 Camaro front end and as far as width and all that the clip fit pretty much perfectly.
I also did a 41 olds for a friend that had a similar rear suspension. For that one i mouved the bag mounts way up(forward) on the car and made a new crossmember for the upper bag mounts pretty much where the back seat used to go. There was no way to put a back seat back in, but with the long trailing arms and the bags so far up the car got 11.5 inches of lift measured at the rear bumper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE FOR LOWRIDER MAGAZINE. THEY DID A 50'S CHEVY WHICH SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME SUSPENSION WISE I THINK. THEY DID WHAT YOU WERE THINKING FOR THE REAR THE FRONT THEY USED STOCK SUSPENSION. IT IS JUST A SUGGESTION TO HELP GIVE IDEAS. IT IS IN THE TECH SECTION UNDER BAGGING A BOMB.

Sorry about the CAPS, i did not realize i had them on. should not :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have a 55 buick and i still haven't got all the right answers. the one thing that i see that can be a problem is the enclosed driveline. i.e. torquetube. i was thinking you might run into probs when you drop it or raise it. i think it will screw with the mounts and pinon of the transmission. seeing how everything is connected together in one piece essentially. i'm not sure about the early 50 buicks though. if someone can give me some insight that would be killer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
you want some insight you need to pull out you motor trany and rearend and replace it all when you try to lift and lower the rear it will brake shit my 53 buick has the same enclosed shit and i pulled out my springs to see how low i could get it as i was lowering the jax it was makeing brakeing sounds

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey man sorry to hear that! i kinda thought that sort of thing would happen. oh well, now it seems like all my loot will be going to swap everything out instead of baggin it.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
well it's cups and chopping in the front
the back can easily be bagged over axel with bridge

yes the tovars did a 50 chevy tech article on how to bag the 49-54 chevy
they send me their air suspension requests

but the buik is not the same as the chevy frame wise

but they are the same basic coil front leaf spring rear bag job install

as for the torque tube there is nothing wrong with putting bags on a closed drive bomb
i do it all the time

there are come closed drive bag pictured of chevys on my web site

bombersklassics.com under galleries

·
Registered
406 Posts
maybe it wasnt the drive line making that sound when i droped it but im still going to swape everything to bring it up to par

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by 95nissan@Oct 25 2006, 08:17 AM~6440261
maybe it wasnt the drive line making that sound when i droped it but im still going to swape everything to bring it up to par
that would be the best idea
get that thing highway ready

could it have been the tires rubbing that made that sound

1 - 13 of 13 Posts