LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to learn about the technical stuff about gettin a system... when your searching for an amp it will say like "2 channel, 4 channel, 5 channel" what do the channels mean? are they the same as ohms?

lets say you buy a subwoofer thats rated 300 watts rms at 4 ohms... you would buy an amp that says 600 watts at 2 ohms? or do you have to specifically search for an amp that is able to push 300 watts at 4 ohms...

here is an example

i buy this jbl GT120D 12" subwoofer that is rated at 250 watt rms at 2 or 8 ohm depending on wiring... ( and heres a question why would anyone want to wire with 8 ohms? would that require a HUGE amount of watts just to be able to push it at those 8 ohms , it seems you could do 2 ohms with a fraction of the watts needed) http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1658

i then buy this Profile California CA400M amplifier, rated at 320 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms , just what i need with a little bit more juice http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1180 but it is a "mono" amp, what does that mean? i know it means it has one channel but does that mean its supposed to be wired to 1 sub? like 2 channel is for 2 subs, 4 channel for 4 subs??

anything else that is important that i should know be feel to shoot thx :cool:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
i had a good site but it doesn't work anymore :uh:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Twistid@Oct 14 2003, 01:05 PM
come on now this topics been here a couple days and no one wants to help me out????

-why would someone want an 8ohm sub when it would take like 50 gazillion more watts to power it, then just gettin a 4ohm speaker that requires much less watts (and is escencially cheaper)
Because you can wire 2 8 ohm subs togeather and run them to a mono am at 4 ohms, or you could run four of them at 2 ohms.......

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Ok as far as channels go, think of it this way. You have a radio in a car running four speakers. The front left, front right, rear left and rear right.

Ok the front left is 1 channel, the front right is another channel, the back left is one channel, the back right is one channel.

ok, so if you wanted an amp to run all four of your speakers, then you would buy a 4 channel amp.

ok, now lets say you wanted to run a sub too, and wanted to do it all off of one amp, then you would buy a 5 channel amp, and run the 5th channel for your sub.

Or you could run a 4 channel to your 4 speakers, and buy a 2 channel to run your subs, or sub.

ok so now you can run one sub off of each channel, or you can bridge the amp, which means to combine both channels into one to get more power.............

·
Registered
306 Posts
take a class in electronics :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts