LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to learn to paint and do flames and other custom work, does anyone know of any good books or have any good tips for me. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Originally posted by AngelEyes@Jul 21 2003, 09:12 PM
I really want to learn to paint and do flames and other custom work, does anyone know of any good books or have any good tips for me. I would really appreciate it.
one book i just got and i think its good is the one they sell at PEP BOYZ its called PAINT AND BODY or something..they also got books on weldin and shit but the paint and body one covers a lil bit of that also...its basic paint work and body work so it doesnt say how to do flames and shit but its still a good book.

i only got 1 tip....BODY WORK IS A FUCKIN PAIN IN THE ASS. :biggrin:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Coming from another person who is still very much into the "learning" stage of custom work let me tell you what I've learned thus far. First off you can learn alot from books...but I find that the best way to learn things, especially custom work is to find a good local custom body shop and try and get in good with the owner. This could lead you to maybe stickin around the shop and learning some stuff...hands on is the best way to learn custom work. But on the same hand you have to becarefull what you learn and from who....In Custom work everybody has there own method of doing things...some guys will do top notch work and some will do half ass work just to get the ride out and get paid. Make sure the stuff you learn is the "correct" way. When it comes to flames....its one of those things that you just have to practice on old scrap panels. Freehand flames are hard to do but once you've mastered the skill there is no limit to it! Other than that all I gots to say is good luck and hope what I said helped ya a bit.

·
Registered
949 Posts
practice,, practice,,practice,,

Custom paintin is an art and you need to have your painting down pat,,
there's nothing worse than seein spray pattern in pearls and candy ,, and uneven application .. knowing how a paint works and how to keep it even and wet is one ,, not many know ..!!!!!!!!!

Also you need to know how to do your bodywork floorless ,, without using fillers .. It isn't hard just takes practice ..!!

You need plenty of practice and to be very observant .. dos'nt matter how much material you read you also need to know how to put it in action ..

Last edited by sabre at Jul 25 2003, 06:07 PM

·
2 pumps 4dumps 10switches
849 Posts
go to the junkyard and buy a a hood for any car and make a a couple dents and go from there .. and watch youtube. but pay attention , its mostly just doing it hands on ..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Get the technical manual for the brand of paint you are using. Also learn the difference between all the primers and sealers, same for clearcoat . Some are made for long term, some aren't. And also learn which solvents do what , like lacquer thinner vs. Acetone vs. Reducer etc. It's alot to take in but once you get it down, then you might wanna start your collection of spray guns, for primers, basecoats, and candies/clearcoat. Also learn how to clean your equipment so it works good all the time and not just the first time you use it. Hope this helps

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
Painting is not something you can master sitting in class or reading a book,it takes actual hands on practice.
Try and get on at a body shop,and get enrolled in a painting apprenticeship,if it's something you really want to do.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Originally posted by lowdeville@Feb 26 2011, 09:37 AM~19965307
Painting is not something you can master sitting in class or reading a book,it takes actual hands on practice.
Try and get on at a body shop,and get enrolled in a painting apprenticeship,if it's something you really want to do.
X2 It's More bout Learning Hands on if you do want to go to school for it, go to a Community College that Offers that Program it will be Cheaper than going to a Tech School and you would probably get better Hands On Training IMO Talking from Experience Good Luck! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Feb 26 2011, 10:13 PM~19969813
or just dig up an 8 year old topic
this is an old topic but new people repost the same question. im sure you know that

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Originally posted by ProjectMatt@Feb 27 2011, 01:33 PM~19972647
this is an old topic but new people repost the same question. im sure you know that
It Sure Is Lmao! Well I Hope they Learned a Lil Something by Now Lol! :roflmao:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts