LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
u ppl have convinced me that for a daily driver (and not an SPL drag car) that XXX and Brahma are as good as it gets for the price. the XXX comes in an 18'' size.

so wat are some advantages of having and 18 over a 15. besides the cone area the subs are identicle ...so split the differences.

would the 18 sound muddy?
are 18s more of a novelty then practicality?
would the 18 be more likely to blow under extreme wattage?
my 15s make great high bass aswell as low, will 18s go lower? or as high?
18s are heavier and less effecient!! is that noticeable?
is the 18s SQ as tight?

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 2low2touch@Aug 30 2003, 08:56 PM
...18s are a slow sub in yall know what i mean...
no we don't. please elaborate. i'm just trying to learn

·
Registered
584 Posts
Originally posted by 2low2touch@Aug 30 2003, 07:56 PM
personally i think that the 15s would be better...18s are a slow sub in yall know what i mean... they are better for that lo-lo bass
The 18XXX is a pretty quick 18".

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by GSteg+Aug 30 2003, 10:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GSteg @ Aug 30 2003, 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--2low2touch@Aug 30 2003, 08:56 PM
...18s are a slow sub in yall know what i mean...
no we don't. please elaborate. i'm just trying to learn[/b][/quote]
Well an 18" sub will play down to 20hz which is the lowest frequency that the human ear will hear. So the 18" sub will play ultra low frequency. Okay you might think that would be the way to go. However most recordings are center around 40hz, give a take a few hz here and there. So you would think that a 15" would be the better sub. But again it depends on what you are doing, if you want to do the SPL comp, then an 18" would be better, because you are dealing with Pulses not music. Hope you understand that.

G

·
0 Posts
well basically any sub will play 20hz, should be fine responding to 10hz notes too. i would say 20hz is an average, but many people have been able to hear 16hz.

i wouldn't think the 15" would be a better choice than the 18" for music. i think it would be the same except the 18" will get lower, but thats about it.

now what do you mean by "pulses" and "music" because to my understanding, the only difference between 15" and 18" is how low the sub will get and the Vd (assuming same xmax). so if the 18" is good, then the 15" should basically be the same with less output. still don't get the "pulse" and "music".

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Originally posted by GSteg@Aug 31 2003, 01:25 AM
well basically any sub will play 20hz, should be fine responding to 10hz notes too. i would say 20hz is an average, but many people have been able to hear 16hz.

i wouldn't think the 15" would be a better choice than the 18" for music. i think it would be the same except the 18" will get lower, but thats about it.

now what do you mean by "pulses" and "music" because to my understanding, the only difference between 15" and 18" is how low the sub will get and the Vd (assuming same xmax). so if the 18" is good, then the 15" should basically be the same with less output. still don't get the "pulse" and "music".
I think what he means by "pulse and music" is that in comp you play bass notes or beats whatever you want to call them compared to as a daily you listen music and would want a quicker sub as to a deeper sounding sub. Em I right ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
18s are great if you listen to low slow rap music all the time, but if you listen to Metallica and other rock music, it will sound like crap at high volumes because the BIG ass speaker just can't keep up with quick changes in the music. I used to have a pair of 18s in my old car and they were so powerful they would run most people out of the car. I enjoyed that so much. 18s require a lot of airspace in the box too. MUCH more than a 15. It all depends on what you enjoy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by GSteg@Aug 30 2003, 10:25 PM

I can feel 5 hz in my car...in a box tuned to 50 :0 :cool:

Don't forget about the fact that the 18" has more cone area than the 15", and thus more efficiency. ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by 2low2touch@Aug 30 2003, 07:56 PM
personally i think that the 15s would be better...18s are a slow sub in yall know what i mean... they are better for that lo-lo bass
That is an old wives tale. The quickness and tightness of a woofer is dependant on its enclosure more than anything.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by Bent Axle@Sep 3 2003, 09:37 AM
18s are great if you listen to low slow rap music all the time, but if you listen to Metallica and other rock music, it will sound like crap at high volumes because the BIG ass speaker just can't keep up with quick changes in the music. I used to have a pair of 18s in my old car and they were so powerful they would run most people out of the car. I enjoyed that so much. 18s require a lot of airspace in the box too. MUCH more than a 15. It all depends on what you enjoy.
this is exacktl what i meant when i said 18s are a slow sub good for the lo-lo bass

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Aside from the fact that this is old as hell, I'll clear up all the misconceptions.

An 18 will not play lower than a 15 because its bigger.
An 18 does not play "slower" than a 15 because its bigger.
An 18 will not automatically be louder than a 15 because its bigger.
An 18 will not hold more power than a 15 because its bigger.
Neither size will blow easier because of their size.

Here's are the differences between an 18 and a 15 (of the same model):

1. Cone area, an 18 has more.
2. Required enclosure, an 18 needs a bigger box.

That is it, that is all, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Seriously, you CAN listen to Metallica with an 18. Yeah, even in a ported box. And if you're smart enough(or the person building the box), it'll sound fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts