LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as far as i know this is the stock water pump on this regal...i had one go out on my old one and it was a cheap fix..like $24 for a new one....i have some free time on my hands today...u guys think i should swap out this old water pump for a new one just to be safe? what would u guys do?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Jul 30 2005, 11:14 AM
ok as far as i know this is the stock water pump on this regal...i had one go out on my old one and it was a cheap fix..like $24 for a new one....i have some free time on my hands today...u guys think i should swap out this old water pump for a new one just to be safe? what would u guys do?
[snapback]3510427[/snapback]​
Do you have the motor out of the car or something, or do you just want to change it to be safe?

If you just want to change it to be safe, I would first flush the cooling system. Then I would change the pump and the upper and lower radiator hoses. And while doing so I would put in a new thermostat.

That way you know the cooling system is all new and in good shape.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea just wanted to change it to be safe. I know once they go out your stuck where it went out at lol. Don't wanna be stuck.
Yea i planned on removing the old pump and stat and flush the engine out real good..either then or maybe before i remove everything...The hoses all look to be in good shape so i may leave that for another weekend.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Jul 30 2005, 11:38 AM
yea just wanted to change it to be safe. I know once they go out your stuck where it went out at lol. Don't wanna be stuck.
Yea i planned on removing the old pump and stat and flush the engine out real good..either then or maybe before i remove everything...The hoses all look to be in good shape so i may leave that for another weekend.
[snapback]3510495[/snapback]​
Yeah I dont think its a bad idea, some people wouldnt do it like that, most just wait till it breaks then fix it, but I like to know that its not going to do that.

I would flush it first that way you dont loosen stuff up that may get into your new water pumps shaft. Then I would change the stuff out and make sure I had a new thermostat. Check your belt for cracks, if its checking you might as well put a new one on since you will have it off.

Its one thing when a W/P seizes up and leaves you stranded, its another thing when the belt breaks and leaves you stranded you know.

If you get a water pump and its cast iron and not aluminum, pick up a can of good paint and put a couple coats on it. The aluminum ones look good for awhile but the iron ones just turn rusty looking after a few weeks :cool:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea my old one locked up..that shit sucked..
nah i'm sure all the new ones are aluminum..old o ne never rusted...but yea i'd rather not get stuck again cuz when they go out they are gone..u will have trouble just gettin the car one block.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got everything done yesterday..took longer then i thought i had a couple of bolts break and i had to tap them and put new ones..old ones were all rusty..then when i was doing the stat all them dayum wires and everything else was in my way but i got it done and its runnin good. i put a heavy duty stat in it..didn't know they made them but yea this think way tougher lookin then a reg one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts