LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why the hell does it seem when it rains i spray my wires with wd40 it rusts!! and if i dont there fine! and by rust i mean a yellow color start to form by the hub

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I could be wrong, but in my opinion, maybe without the WD they still rust, but the rust stays on the rim; and with WD the rust still happens but doesn't stay attached to the rims, so you see it come off??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Originally posted by usojohn@Nov 30 2003, 07:55 PM
I could be wrong, but in my opinion, maybe without the WD they still rust, but the rust stays on the rim; and with WD the rust still happens but doesn't stay attached to the rims, so you see it come off??
:biggrin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
when you say rust do you mean that the chrome is peeling and it looks yellow underneath?I wanna know if im the only person with that problem.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacement (WD) chemical- spray it on the wheels BEFORE it rains when they are dry and it will repel the rain to run off your wheels, meaning, no more rust. when you spray it on there when they are still wet or damp from previous rain storm, it's probably trapping that water on the rim causing it to rust it.

WD-40 prevents rust, if ya use it right.

Make sense ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just tried grade 00 steel wool on my rims. it polished and removes rust. no chemicals needed.

Last edited by Montey C at Dec 20 2003, 02:29 PM

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Originally posted by unfunkyufo+Dec 20 2003, 02:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (unfunkyufo @ Dec 20 2003, 02:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Montey C@Dec 20 2003, 04:28 PM
I just tried grade 00 steel wool on my rims. it polished and removes rust. no chemicals needed.
You tried it huh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I gotta go get some... :cool:[/b][/quote]
yeah man, i went to a hardware store and picked some up and tried it out. I did the dishes first and they where just bling blingin' . I had a rusty spoke and it took it right off. I was impressed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Originally posted by RaZo_bLaDe@Dec 24 2003, 12:11 AM
with the wool does it make lil *scratches* as if it was polished aluminum and not chrome
i don't think so, i haven't noticed any.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts