LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my 88 jeep cherokee the other day and my car just shut off i popped the hood and the battery was on fire lol. i towed it home and got a new battery and replaced all the fuses that blew it turned over fine but wont fire it is getting fuel cuz i can see it on the plugs when i pull on out so i cheked my spark and it is very weak(orange) and sometimes none at all. so i put a new cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires and a new coil. still a weak spark but it is better now because the engine will chug and want to fire up but it wont. any ideas guys? thanks

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
just guessing but try replacing distributor. what else controls spark? also try spraying starter fluid at the throttle body see if it starts if it does your not getting enuf fuel

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by 84 2 dr cut@Aug 17 2006, 06:16 PM~5988662
just guessing but try replacing distributor. what else controls spark?                    also try spraying starter fluid at the throttle body see if it starts if it does your not getting enuf fuel
ignition coil

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i did the coil and it did help a bit but still a very weak spark it is definetly a spark related problem it is gettin plenty of fuel cuz i checked each spark plug and they all had fuel on them. hey 84 do you think the whole distibuter would have gone bad because it was working fine untill the batery shorted out and blew a bunch of fuses???

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
its possible i guess. check your air filter too sounds weird but if your not getting enoughf air you wont start up either i highly doubt it though

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i was thinking the ignition modual also but how can i check it because a new one for it is 150$ so i dont want to just buy it and hope it fixes it any body know how to check it?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Put the original points,rotor and condensor back in and if it starts up.............the module is your problem.........PLUS if it ever happens again you have the spare OG points parts for backup !!!!!!!!!!

MS

PS
Buy the Pertronix electronic ignition instead.Cost is around $75 and easy to install and EXTREMELY DEPENDABLE!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bring the ignition module to Napa, they'll test it. And if it passes, then its the only other component in your distributor, the pickup coil.

Pickup coils are the hardest thing to replace in a distributor, but only cause you have to pull the whole thing out and conpletely tear it apart. But not realy too much of a job. I replaced mine in a half hour or so.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
my fuckin rear plug on the driver side keeps gettin oil on it cuz my valve cover is leaking..every morning when i start the ride up it takes a few seconds for that plug to start firing :(

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Aug 27 2006, 08:25 PM~6054483
my fuckin rear plug on the driver side keeps gettin oil on it cuz my valve cover is leaking..every morning when i start the ride up it takes a few seconds for that plug to start firing :(
:uh:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
POS 3.8

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Aug 27 2006, 07:25 PM~6054483
Check if the nuts on the valve cover are tight enough and/or replace that 1 valve cover gasket. Ohh and check the plug to see if its oil fouled. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts