LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good welder for panel repair (qrt & trunk floor)? I have a rust patch behind rear tire well and rust in my trunk. Should i use a mig, torch or arch? Any suggestions would help

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
WIRE FEED ARC OR MIG WILL WORK BEST FOR YOU-----THEY ARE BASICALLY THE SAME EXCEPT USE DIFFERENT KINDS OF WIRE AND THE MIG USES GAS AS WELL------YOU WILL GET A CLEANER WELD W/ MIG--PEACE

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That's exact;y what I would recommend as well-nicely put!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas for the advice. I plan on buying a mig this weekend to to repair my trunk floor panel coming in on monday from classic industries. Hey, how hard is it to repair a trunk floor panel? i plan on buying this mig from lincoln http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/e...heet.asp?p=7112
Oh yeah- lowriderlife i am from slymar also-good to see someone from the same hood

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Ty's 64@Sep 25 2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks fellas for the advice. I plan on buying a mig this weekend to to repair my trunk floor panel coming in on monday from classic industries. Hey, how hard is it to repair a trunk floor panel? i plan on buying this mig from lincoln http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/e...heet.asp?p=7112
Oh yeah- lowriderlife i am from slymar also-good to see someone from the same hood
sounds good bro---ya i grew up in san fernando--but i bought my house in sylmar-------if you are going to get that model bro--you can find it at homedepot on foothill----that is where i got mine but i never got the mig conversion---i will sooner or later---i just use the flux core wire right now-or if you want to make sure you get all the set up at once go to airgas on san fernando rd --i think it's around terra bella or so--they got it all bro ---------give me a holla sometimes bro...(818)362-4563 house===peace

"richee"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the trunk floor panel- How hard is it to replace? Thanks ;)

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Ty's 64@Sep 26 2003, 10:27 AM
What about the trunk floor panel- How hard is it to replace? Thanks ;)
is it for a 64 bro--------did you get the whole trunk pan from the top down-----usually if you replace the whole thing it is very easy----you just have to break out the upper spot welds on top and all the way around and pull the whole inner well out ---then you drop in the new on and is has a lip thatlock it is on the top--------spot weld or bead weld it in and they putty it and you are done--------takes some time and some of those welds are a bitch to break but if you use an "air chisel" it moves pretty easy---------give me a call bro----where abouts in sylmar are you at?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stay near the high school, near borden and hubbard------------- but i bought the replacement bottom panel and not the full trunk well--- classic industries discountinued that style trunk well replacement with the lip. I originally bought that one with the 7" drop but they gave me a call on weds. and stated that they no longer will carry that one so they shipped me the bottom panel only. I got it for a good deal 20% off and free shipping.----------------Will it be hard to replace that style???
~~~~The rust and rot is only on the bottom. Once i get every thing welded on i will seal the entire trunk with por 15 rust prevention. ***And one last question can i use that style welder to re-attach my rack to my frame??*** :biggrin: Thanks again lowriderlife for all of the advice, you've been very informative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts