LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do installers weld the springs to the cups? If they are fabricators and welders, don't they have the common knowledge to know that welding tempered/sprung steel to machined/billet steel is almost as bad as trying to weld stainless to steel, or worse, aluminum to steel?! Don't they know it'll just break the spring? Fucking idiots!

Just venting...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Originally posted by rivi666@Feb 11 2010, 05:05 PM~16586011
Why do installers weld the springs to the cups? If they are fabricators and welders, don't they have the common knowledge to know that welding tempered/sprung steel to machined/billet steel is almost as bad as trying to weld stainless to steel, or worse, aluminum to steel?! Don't they know it'll just break the spring? Fucking idiots!

Just venting...
I guess it's time to throw out a set of springs with welded cups.

Dont weld to spring steel.

don't heat it

Don't cut your springs in half with a torch.

Should be common sense, but It's been posted in strut cylinders for years that its ok to do.
It's not

I never built a set of struts that way

Don't weld springs :mad:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
It's done to keep shallow cups in place so they don't get dislodeged and sit sideways in the spring. Which now the common thing to do is weld pipe to the bottom of the shallow cup to prevent this. Or use deep cups lol

·
Mr. Paid
5,602 Posts
Originally posted by RANFLAS&BIKAS@Feb 11 2010, 05:14 PM~16586105
IS AS BAD AS MOST FOLKS WELD THE CASTIRON TO THEM REINFORING PLATES ON THEIR REAREND!
Cant leave the gap. Even if it doesn't help with strength, it looks better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Feb 11 2010, 05:33 PM~16586348
It's done to keep shallow cups in place so they don't get dislodeged and sit sideways in the spring. Which now the common thing to do is weld pipe to the bottom of the shallow cup to prevent this. Or use deep cups lol
Thank you my friend! That's what I tell these idiots, but they always ask me to weld the springs to the cup! Bad idea. I picked up a used set up from a homeboy on here, and whoever he bought the car from welded the spring to the cups. 2 of them, I was able to hit with a hammer and separate them clean from the weld, one of the rears I had to cut at the weld(stock car spring but shortened), and the other rear, which had a completely different spring, was broke when I picked it up from his homie's shop floor. He was riding like that in a pretty nice car.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by rivi666@Feb 11 2010, 06:05 PM~16586011

Just venting...

Because most hydraulic installers are retarded.

But the stuff just sitting in there doesnt sound too smart either.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by rivi666@Feb 11 2010, 10:36 PM~16588871
Thank you my friend! That's what I tell these idiots, but they always ask me to weld the springs to the cup! Bad idea. I picked up a used set up from a homeboy on here, and whoever he bought the car from welded the spring to the cups. 2 of them, I was able to hit with a hammer and separate them clean from the weld, one of the rears I had to cut at the weld(stock car spring but shortened), and the other rear, which had a completely different spring, was broke when I picked it up from his homie's shop floor. He was riding like that in a pretty nice car.

ya thats why most have switched over to deep cups cuz u dont need to weld them to ur coil, they will stay in place with the pressure from the cylinder...before people thought of using pipe to extend the length of bottom of the cup your really only choice was to weld ur shallow cups to the coil to keep them from popping out..however downfall was if u had to replace the coil most people wouldnt try to grind of the welds to remove the cups lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 12 2010, 02:00 PM~16594690
What if someone made a cup with beefy bolt on tabs to help hold things in place?
:uh: Talking bout retards! :twak:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What If you just went over to the playground and stole a horse on a spring..

LOL

Just buy the brackets from a place that sells playground parts.

Those toys are on springs ,

Oh boy people are goingout robbing playgrounds for springs.
What did i do.

LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by rivi666@Feb 11 2010, 05:05 PM~16586011
Why do installers weld the springs to the cups? If they are fabricators and welders don't they have the common knowledge to know that welding tempered/sprung steel to machined/billet steel is almost as bad as trying to weld stainless to steel, or worse, aluminum to steel?! Don't they know it'll just break the spring? Fucking idiots!

Just venting...
not disrespecting you homie but their is ways to weld diffrent type's of metals to each other like stainless to regular steel and so on been doing it for years and pays good :biggrin:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LOW_INC@Feb 12 2010, 06:51 PM~16596994
not disrespecting you homie but their is ways to weld diffrent type's of metals to each other like stainless to regular steel and so on been doing it for years and pays good :biggrin:
Ya, I know it's very possible, I've done it too, just not a good metal combo, s/s and reg cold steel have dif melting points, tensile strengths, dif densities, and of course, the embrittlement values. Steel can take more flex and stretch than s/s can, when you weld them together, you change the molecular structure of s/s, end result compromising it's integrity.
Now when you weld spring steel to cold steel, the area of the weld plus where sustantial heat travelled, degradation and temperment occures, but not indefinitely, so the point where this meets the area spring steel is still sprung, it will bend a/o break. The only correct way to weld spring steel to cold steel is to flash the spring steel to the point where it's not sprung anymore, and that now defeats the purpose now, doesn't it!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
:wave: grind on it first to see what the sparks look like. Some are cast steel.

You can weld cast iron to steel with a stick welder.

molybdenum welding rods

Opps I forgot nobody has a stick welder anymore. LOL

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Feb 13 2010, 12:39 PM~16602401
:wave:  grind on it first to see what the sparks look like.  Some are cast steel.

You can weld cast iron to steel with a stick welder.

molybdenum welding rods

Opps I forgot nobody has a stick welder anymore.  LOL
Fuck! Stick welding is the shit! All it takes is that little tap and burn! I just got most of my gas set up, gonna start use the torch again, been years. My brother-in-law mastered sheetmetal joint welding without rod, he buts the 2 sheets together at the corners, but not parallel, diagnal, and flashes the torch over it, as it starts to join, he twists it parallel. He got the tech from this english video, the dude is bad ass! I'll see if I can find the link and post it...

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by rivi666@Feb 13 2010, 07:11 PM~16603526
Fuck! Stick welding is the shit! All it takes is that little tap and burn! I just got most of my gas set up, gonna start use the torch again, been years. My brother-in-law mastered sheetmetal joint welding without rod, he buts the 2 sheets together at the corners, but not parallel, diagnal, and flashes the torch over it, as it starts to join, he twists it parallel. He got the tech from this english video, the dude is bad ass! I'll see if I can find the link and post it...
i like stick welders myself-im decent with wire/gas but real nice with stick-plus as ive said before,they weld bridges and big machinery together with stick,also used to use stick when i built billboards-you cant beat em in my opinion,shit burns thru paint,can torch cut steel and still get great solid weld,plus they are under $300 :puffin:
only plus to wire is you can fill gaps really easy and a spool of wire last longer than a tin of sticks :yessad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts